• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Steam Beer

T

THE_DRUNK_ARAB

I will be brewing a steam beer this weekend and would like to know, not ever having tried one, is the bitterness aggressive and should I use flavour and aroma hops as well? I will be using Northern Brewer for all hop additions irrespective.
Thanks in anticipation

The Drunk Arab

Traditional steam beers can be quite hoppy - typically in the 35-45 IBU range.  Aroma hop additions may be appropriate as well since the hops is a significant component of the flavor.

If you want to do it right - try entering the recipe in BeerSmith and match the style guide for "California Common Beer" which is the steam beer style.

Cheers!
Brad

The couple of times I've made a steam, I've used three or four hop additions -- bittering of course, followed by 30 min, 15 (maybe), and 5. They've worked out pretty well.

I made a steam beer once...well, I made a lager and then the weather got too warm for it to stay a lager (I had to primary lagers in the garage during the winter).  Oops.  ::)  Oh, well, it turned out pretty well anyway!

When I think of steam beer I think of Anchor Steam and try to match the recipe.  I've only tried it on purpose twice and, although the beer was good, it wasn't Anchor.  To me it's got to be on the darker side of Amber, hoppy but certainly not as much as a pale ale, and smoooooth.

Good luck!  I'm sure it'll be good, however it turns out.  :)

The local brewpub used to make a Steam with a combination of Northern Brewer early in the boil and Crystal late in the boil. It was very nice, but different from Anchor. That one used lager yeast (Czech, I think). But now they make an Amber, basically the same recipe but using an ale yeast at low temps -- kind of a reverse Steam. It's still very good, but I think I liked the Steam better.

Thanks for the advice one and all.
Here is what I will be using, haven't plugged it into BS yet.

OG1050 IBU40 SRM 15 roughly.
Pale Ale Malt
Crystal (300EBC)
Carapils
Northern Brewer @60, 15 and 5mins
2112 Californian Common Yeast

A report will follow in a month or so :p.

Cheers and bollocks
The Drunk Arab

Thanks for the advice one and all.
Here is what I will be using, haven't plugged it into BS yet.

OG1050 IBU40 SRM 15 roughly.
Pale Ale Malt
Crystal (300EBC)
Carapils
Northern Brewer @60, 15 and 5mins
2112 Californian Common Yeast

A report will follow in a month or so :p.

Cheers and bollocks
The Drunk Arab

Well, this beer has now been in the keg for just over 4 weeks. I started trying it at 2 weeks and it was very bitter on the front pallette. Now the beer is singing in the glass. Really well balanced and the Northern Brewer is great with this style. I reckon the Wyeast 2112 is quite good as well, first time I have used it.

I am hoping that a friend who is currently in Mystic is going to bring an Anchor Steam back with him so I can compare, just hope the keg holds out. ;D

Cheers and bollocks
The Drunk Arab

Yep,
 I think Northern Brewer is THE hops to use for this style.  It gives the right amount of bite.

Cheers!
Brad

Back