• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

late extract boils?????

M

MattC

Have just purchased Beersmith to assist in getting my extract batches right before making the step into all grain. When I select the extract to use it has an option for "late extract boil" I have a few questions regarding this feature:
1. firstly what does this mean.
2. I usually boil about 50% of the extract for 60 min with bittering hops, then at 10min or 15min to go I add the remainder with any flavouring hops, before adding the aroma hops last. When i select one type of extract to be a "late extract boil" of 15 min, it seems to change the amount of IBU's i will get from the hops. whereas if I select it for 60min or dont selct it at all there is no change to my IBUs. Why is this the case.
3. When you select any extract is the assumption already programmed that the extract will be boiled?
I ask these questions as i know that gravity can have an effect on the potential IBU's you get from a given amount of hops.

Regards  ;D

Matt
  Late extract boil is explained here:
  http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2008/02/20/better-beer-with-late-malt-extract-additions/

Basically it involves adding the bulk of the extract at the end of the boil (usually the last 15 minutes).  Only a small portion is added earlier to aid in hop oil extraction.

BeerSmith implements this by calculating the boil gravity at various points and factoring these into the hop utilization figures to get a more accurate IBU estimate.

Cheers,
Brad

Thanks heaps Brad, very informative article. Another feather in the cap in the quest for the perfect brew!!

Back