• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Clogged Keg!!!!

bobo1898

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
Racked to the keg the other day and accidentally took more sediment than expected, specifically hop matter. My syphon struggled in the last quarter of the carboy to the point where I had to unclog it a couple times.

I guess I can take apart the outpost and clear out the dip tube, but what if I have way too much hop matter in the bottom? Am I just going to keep clogging it?

I set the PSI to 50 and tried to run it through the tap and still only got between zero and a trickle. I also tried blowing gas through the outpost and still got nothing when I switched back.

I know it works because I ran sanitizer through the tap before I filled the keg. So the conclusion is definitely that it's clogged with hops.

What can I do?

I have only encountered this once.  I swapped lines to put the gas on the outlet (I made pieces especially for this so that I could run cleaning and sanitizing solutions through multiple kegs at once, though you can just unscrew the lines and move them over), and then turned the gas on to low pressure and gently pulled on the prv until I could hear the gas bubbling up through the beer.  Took about 2 minutes total and did not have an issue for the remainder of the keg.

Thanks for the response!

I actually did try this. Gas is getting through cause i could hear it bubble up immediately. I had mine set around 10 PSI and did it in bursts. Still had no luck.

I use http://www.clearbeerdraughtsystem.com/  Serves beer from the top.  I dry hop in the keg commando with no issues.

Yeah, been there.  I eventually used the siphon to xfer to a new keg after trying the less intrusive options.  I bladed 30 PSI CO2, removed the ball lock and cleaned it and removed the dip tube whe blew out the clog.  It just kept clogging.  The beer was fine in the end but I had to kegs to clean for 1 beer.

Now, everytime I keg, I put a fine mesh hop sack (damp with sanitizer) around the end of the tubing on the keg side of the siphon.  Good Luck. 

Thanks guys.

I have a feeling I'm going to keep clogging.

Back