• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Partigyle Recipe Formulation

edwolfe

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Other than this post (http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=9516.0), I'm not finding much on formulating a partigyle recipe in BeerSmith. Does anyone have experience/advice more recent than 2013?

I just did my first partigyle in July and formulated the recipe using Beersmith. There are no provisions in BS for doing this so here is what I did...

Using a formula (attached) I found on another forum I calculated the gravities of my two run-offs. My goal was a 5 gallon Barleywine. The second beer would also be 5 gallons but what it turned out to be or its OG were of little concern.

My Barleywine was going to include some kettle sugars that the second beer would not have. Both would also use different hops and hop schedules and even different yeasts. So my experience required me to create three recipes in Beersmith. Let's use the examples given in the attachment...

[list type=decimal]
[*]a 10 gallon recipe at 1.066... I did not include hops in this one. Only hitting the OG was important.
[*]a 5 gallon recipe at 1.088. This one gets all the added ingredients that are not used in the next beer.
[*]a 5 gallon recipe at 1.044 with it's own specific ingredients.
[/list]

It all turned out spot on except for me losing all of beer #2 when the full fermentation bucket got knocked over. But that's a story for another day and has nothing to do with the success of my partigyle experiment.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 50-50 Partigyle OG Calculation.docx
    12.1 KB · Views: 188
Back