• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash in and temperature ramp

mapu

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have a recipe for  Hop Rod rye clone (from BYO magazine) and the mash in instructions state "Mash in at 145F then ramp temperature to 152F for conversion". While it seems relatively easy, I am wondering how I would create or modify one of the Beer Smith mash profiles to give me the appropriate temperatures of the strike water?

Also, I am wondering whether I should be simply splitting my mash water, or whether I should use decoction mashing? Up until now- all of my brews have been simple single temp mash in.

Thanks!

Michael

If not a decoction, then I think you'd take one of the double infusion profiles and modify to your temps.  I did this fairly quickly, but knowing or calculating the water amounts seems tricky.  Is there standard guidance or ratios for this double-infusion type mash? 

I have heard of people using as little as .6qt's to a pound of grain, with that in mind. I have never gone below .9qt's. If I understand what you are doing correctly, it sounds like a Protein rest (Most likely because of the Rye). You can duplicate one of your single infusion mash profiles and add a Protein Rest at .9qts then increase the second infusion to about 1.7qt's. If you do a mash out, this may leave you short on Sparg water. I do a Decotion as the Mash Out, in order to leave an extra gallon of water for the Sparg. You could also increase your Boil time to add another gallon of water.
Cheers
Preston

Back