• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Main Mash Thickness

BrewerMike

Apprentice
Reaction score
Is there a way to show the main mash thickness in qts/lb?  I have it set up in US units and all other measurements are in US, but this one shows in metric only.  This is in the designs tab in the custom fields area.  Any suggestions?

The setting is in 'options' > 'units'.  You will find a coiple of settings for volume, one of which is the mash volume.

I do have my mash vol units set on qts.  Even when I change the setting to gallons or barrels even it doesn't change off of l/kg.

Oginme said:
The setting is in 'options' > 'units'.  You will find a coiple of settings for volume, one of which is the mash volume.

The OP is correct. When adding "Mash Thickness" to design tab custom fields, it reports in l/kg regardless of what's set in options. There doesn't seem to be a way to change it.

brewfun said:
The OP is correct. When adding "Mash Thickness" to design tab custom fields, it reports in l/kg regardless of what's set in options. There doesn't seem to be a way to change it.

My bad.  This is what I get for not having the computer in front of me and trying to help out from a fair.  Sorry, I just tried it and though I can get it to show qts/lb in the mash profile, it always shows up as L/kg in the customized fields. 

Is it my imagination or did the behavior of mash thickness change between 2 & 3.

It used to be that I could put all my ingredients in my recipe and specify my brew equipment.  BS would then calculate the appropriate thickness in order to fit all the ingredients + calculated water into my brew equipment. 

I went to brew last weekend and the water calculations were so high I had to brew in two batches to fit everything in my mash tun.  water volume was not adjusted (thus thickness not adjusted) and now my recipes that used to work to fit in a igloo cooler setup are telling me to add WAY more water than they used to.

Thoughts?

Bill

Bumping this back, was hoping it would be fixed by now.  Any chance someone can look at this and get it fixed.  It's something I use often and am typically converting or having to go to the mash page.  Nice to have on the main page next to a couple of other items I have set up.

Has this been resolved? I'm having the same issue. And trying to figure out water needed is killing me!

If you click on the checked box to the right of the mash dropdown on the design tab and then double-click on the saccharification step you can view the mash thickness in qts./lb. as long as you've selected English (US) Units. You can also adjust any of the available parameters and the others will follow as needed.

Was this ever added to an actual bug list or a "change request"?
Seems like a lot of effort just to see a metric in one's chosen style...

Cheers!

Back