• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Toggling menu etc

ivars

Apprentice
Reaction score
This is a silly question I know and I don't really have the terminology to ask it properly but anyway. Starting from Views I have toggled off the menu strip at the top of the screen and also toggled off the next line down. Now I don't have access to a View tab / menu item and can't figure out how to get it back again. Can anyone who understands what I on about explain how to get these menus / ribbons back?

If you still have the top menu bar: View > Show/Hide...

If you've lost the menu bar: Options > Look and Feel > Show Menu

brewfun said:
If you still have the top menu bar: View > Show/Hide...

If you've lost the menu bar: Options > Look and Feel > Show Menu

Thanks for responding brewfun. Unfortunately I have neither the top menu bar nor the tabs bar (if that's what it is called) so I can't find options anywhere. I don't understand what has happened. Surely I can't have sent myself up a dead end like this? Am thinking of reinstalling the programme.

No matter how you configure BeerSmith, you should always have at least the to line menu open or the tab menu open.  To access the other menu ribbons or the top line menu, you will see a 'view' drop down menu or tab where you can click to change the settings to see the toolbar ribbon or get into 'look and feel' to select the toolbars that you want.

Oginme said:
No matter how you configure BeerSmith, you should always have at least the to line menu open or the tab menu open.  To access the other menu ribbons or the top line menu, you will see a 'view' drop down menu or tab where you can click to change the settings to see the toolbar ribbon or get into 'look and feel' to select the toolbars that you want.
Now I'm really beginning to feel dumb. All I have is one line selections relevant to the screen I am focused on. I have tried to attach a screen shot but never having done that here before I don't know if it will work.

Attachments

• scr.jpg
    scr.jpg
    850.2 KB · Views: 288
ivars said:
Unfortunately I have neither the top menu bar nor the tabs bar (if that's what it is called) so I can't find options anywhere. I don't understand what has happened. Surely I can't have sent myself up a dead end like this? Am thinking of reinstalling the programme.

By golly! It took me a while, but yes, you can shut down enough features to leave yourself with no way out. That's certainly inconvenient.

Simply reinstalling BeerSmith won't do the trick, though. The .../Documents/BeerSmith3 folder contains all of your recipe and custom profiles. This includes your choices about deleting menus and panes.

Make sure BeerSmith is closed. In .../Documents/BeerSmith3, find the "opts.xml" file. There should also be duplicates numbered 1 to 5. Each of these is a backup, with 5 being the oldest.

The first course of action is to copy/paste all of the opts.xml files from a backup to your current .../Documents/BeerSmith3 folder.

No backup?

Delete the first opts.xml file, then rename the highest numbered version to opts.xml (just delete the number). Unless you've closed and reopened BeerSmith 6 or more times with the missing menus, this version should have it.

Thanks brewfun. That is more than inconvenient, it's a really nasty bug. I had closed / opened Beersmith3 more than 6 times but had a copy of BeerSmith2 files and was able to do more or less what you suggested using the opts.xml file from there. Appreciate the help.

I was finally able to duplicate this last night.  You really do have to try to have this happen, but I can see how you can stumble onto this trying to simplify the number of menu ribbons.  As long as one top line menu ribbon or folders are available, you can recover.

Oginme said:
I was finally able to duplicate this last night.  You really do have to try to have this happen, but I can see how you can stumble onto this trying to simplify the number of menu ribbons.  As long as one top line menu ribbon or folders are available, you can recover.

How did you get out of it?

It was late last night, so I just closed down BS3 and my computer.  When I started up this morning, I made a back up copy of the files in my documents\beersmith3 folder. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled BeerSmith3 and copied back all the files with the exception of the opts.xml files.  All good!

Thus the importance of backing up your files if you are going to fool around with critical parts of a program.

Note:  I did spend quite a bit of time last night working on trying to get the 'options', 'look and feel', or 'view' menus to appear and failed.  It is a black hole once you have removed all the menus.

Oginme said:
Thus the importance of backing up your files if you are going to fool around with critical parts of a program.

I'm not sure what is meant by "fool around" or what the "critical parts" you're referring to are. Surely selecting options openly presented by the programme does not constitute "fooling around".

In the event that using available options (as opposed to messing with the internals of files - "critical parts" - for example) is such a risky thing to do that it can lead you up a dead end, users inclined to curiosity should be warned ahead of time to backup files before proceeding. It is common practice to have an "advanced options" section where users are warned that they should not proceed unless they know what they are doing. Perhaps something like this might be appropriate in this case?

How "Views" can conceivably fit into an advanced category is not clear to me and the strife I got myself into points to a logical flaw in programme design. I love the customizability of BS but I imagine it is difficult to predict all outcomes which can flow from complexity of choice.

Sorry to imply that you did something wrong.  I will try to remember not to be so flippant in the future.

There are two separate actions that need to be done to remove both of the critical menus.  First is the 'show/hide bookmarks bar' which is found on the 'view' drop down menu.  The second is to enter 'options' > 'look and feel' or to select 'look and feel' from the 'view' drop down menu and uncheck the box for 'show menu'.  The actions must take place in that order for both menus to disappear. 

You are correct that the program should not allow the user to remove both of these menus and freeze the user out from recovering.

Back