• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

negative fly saprge

gyropilot1

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am using new industrial equipment (stout tanks) and I get  negative number in the fly sparge water. I have hammered changing equip profile, mash tecnic etc. can get this number to come positive. Please help

charles

If you have a negative sparge number it means that the infusion volume is more than what is needed for the batch.  If you post a recipe as a .bsmx file, we can look at it and make recommendations on what might fix the issue.

I am tring to add a print screen no luck. I can right down all the volume

Close enough.  You have a kettle top off of 130 gal which creates a limit on the water which can flow from the mash step.  Reduce this amount to get more water coming from the mash.  Since you are fly sparging, you should be able to have all of that water coming from your mash.

ok numbers now look good. I am confuse , I thought kettel top off was the amount of water that kettel will take.

The kettle top off is the amount of water which the user adds to the wort collected from the mash to achieve the desired boil volume.  For most users who are getting all the pre-boil volume from the mash, this value is zero.  Some users with limited mash capacity may add some water at this stage.

Did you ever brew extract kits on the kitchen stove where you only had room to boil 2 or 3 gallons and then made up the difference by adding water to your fermenter? That's a form of "top off" water as well. Same concept for kettle top off.

Back