• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Varying Dry Hop Charges

bobo1898

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
If I have an IPA that will have four different hop charges over the course of a month. And the method calls for removing the previous charges, is there a good way to avoid oxidation?

Ultimately, fermenting a batch out. Then transferring to a keg. Hops will go into a stainless steel tube (like an enclosed hop spider). Will purge and let that sit for a week. Then I want to remove the hops and add the next charge and let that sit for a week. Ultimately, I'd do this up to four times.

Should I be concerned with this in the keg? Obviously, I'm purging with CO2 each time I'm replacing the hops but I imagine that each charge will have pockets of oxygen in there when submerged.

Just want to follow up on this post. Any benefit to removing the hops? Any real benefit to even distributing the charges over the course of a month? Will adding and removing hops hurt the beer via oxygen even though I'm purging?

bobo1898 said:
Just want to follow up on this post. Any benefit to removing the hops? Any real benefit to even distributing the charges over the course of a month? Will adding and removing hops hurt the beer via oxygen even though I'm purging?

As hops sit in the fermenter, the plant matter begins to breakdown in various ways. This can show as grassy, chlorophyllic flavor, or can be worse. The recipe seems to recognize this by asking you to remove the spent hops.

If you can't use a hop bag and remove them, then racking into a new carboy would be next option. Just purge it with plenty of CO2 before racking. When I want to make sure to avoid churning beer, I've attached a bottling wand to the hose, with the valve tip removed. The hose tends to want to curl and the wand makes sure the beer goes smoothly to the bottom. 

Great. Thanks for the response.

I'm going to dry hop in the keg. I have a stainless steel dry hopper with a chain, so I can easily remove it. Just concerned the process of removing and incorporating will oxidize. With it being the keg, and having co2 to purge it, it sounds like I'm probably fine.

Back