• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

CBD infused beer

ochiburi

Apprentice
Reaction score
I plan to make a CBD infused beer using dried cannabis sativa flowers certified 16% CBD and <.2% THC. The goal is 25mg of CBD per 33ml bottle. I thought to use the flowers in the whirlpool like a hop (since they are genetically cousins). Does anyone have any advice on this?

I assume dosing is a straight calculation based on volume. eg. Post boil volume / bottle volume * desired dose in mg. Any advice here also welcome.

Cheers.

No direct advice, but your idea of adding at the whirlpool is a good one.  Unless you have some way of testing the extracted oils, however, it will be difficult to determine how effective the wort will be at extracting the CBD oils from the flowers.  Since the most common methods involve a solvent, CO2, or oil extraction, there is not much to draw the CBD from the flowers into the wort through solubilization.

Most likely you will just need to apply some trial and error.

Other advice I have received suggests a very short whirlpool - around 10-15 mins only. Also there has been advice to put some in primary fermentation after the first two days.

No idea on extract rates, but since this is a professional batch I will probably have a sample tested after chill to get some accurate data on WP extraction and after fermentation to get data on the fermentation additions.

I'm unsure of the ability of wort to extract the correct compounds for proper bioavailability, I have a friend in R&D that consults for several companies I'll see if he can provide me with info.

as far as doing something like this on a homebrew-small commercial level, I would probably add a water soluble full spectrum extract such as this when kegging: https://cbdamericanshaman.com/water-soluble-full-spectrum-hemp-oil

ochiburi said:
Other advice I have received suggests a very short whirlpool - around 10-15 mins only. Also there has been advice to put some in primary fermentation after the first two days.

No idea on extract rates, but since this is a professional batch I will probably have a sample tested after chill to get some accurate data on WP extraction and after fermentation to get data on the fermentation additions.

Let us know what the results are.  As Terpenes are soluble in ethanol, the fermenter would be the logical place to try.

Wow, I'd like to try this. Did you manage to get a good result? It would be cool if you would share the exact recipe and the amount of products as I would like to brew my beer with cbd. When I visited my cousin in Washington, he gave me something similar and I was surprised by the result. This post brought back old memories. The last time I bought cbd for vaping on this website and it was a couple of months ago, so I would like to try cbd in beer. How long does the whole process take? Maybe I can make a beer brewing setup in my garage. I remember how it was at my cousin's, I have enough space.

You can't simply take dried sativa flowers and extract CBD.  You need to decarboxylate prior to whirlpool or dry hop addition (you probably now this but other may not).  It usually takes a couple hours to infuse at low heat into oil.  Adding decarboxylated Sativa to the whirlpool for a couple hours would extract infuse the wort and and drive off some of the terpenes.  There is no way to estimate the extraction. The amount of alcohol in beer is too low to be very effective at extracting CBD at cold temperatures.  My guess is this process will be pretty low and maybe achieve 50% of an estimated yield. That's just an uneducated wild ass guess.

I created a simple calculator to determine potential yield at 100% extract and estimated yield at 70% extract.  The table below is calculated based on 70% yield.  At 100% yield you would need 100 grams 16% CBD Sativa flowers to achieve 25 mg / 33 ml.

grams percent potential yield (gr) potential yield (mg) Est yield (mg) wort (liters) Mg / Liter Mg / 500 ml Mg / 33 ml Mg / ml
130         16         20.8                         20800                 14560         19                 766         383                 25                 0.77

Of course, I'd like to try homebrew with CBD. So far, I've only had a chance to try a beer brewed at High Flyer, where cannabis derivatives are added in the process of making beer

Of course, I'd like to try homebrew with CBD. So far, I've only had a chance to try a beer brewed at High Flyer, where cannabis derivatives are added in the process of making beer
It didn't feel bad, it was similar to taking CBD isolate, which I get through stateofmindlabs.com. I'm skeptical but not convinced I can get a great beer with cannabis at home. I wish I had a chance to try such a beer... I have tried some homemade products that are much better than industrial production. The thing is, I haven't tried a homebrewed beer yet.

Well, I think the best way to do it is to buy or make a tincture and then just add drops to any glass of beer you want, you would then know exactly your dosage. Much less wasteful IMO. Another benefit of drops is different people do different dosages of CBD or THC so much easier to share. If you do want to brew with cannabinoid you need to heat it to activate it so yes to the whirlpool or at flameout.

Well, to be honest I would like to try some cannabis edibles but I don't know what to choose among all of them. Besides, I have found these green roads bundles, have you ever tried something like that? Can you please recommend me something reliable and trustworthy right now? I will appreciate your help

Hello. I was wondering if anyone had or knows of a CBD-infused Beer....like a Lager or Pale Ale. Looking for something that has that dank aroma to it.

I appreciate everyone's help with this.

I think most brewers inclined that way are currently lost tripping on kveik, man. Apparently, it's not even the real stuff, according to one of the latest marketing campaigns in kveik quackery.

I think most brewers inclined that way are currently lost tripping on kveik, man. Apparently, it's not even the real stuff, according to one of the latest marketing campaigns in kveik quackery.
thank you so much for your suggestion

Back