• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Option to build recipe without a date?

dtapke

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
So, I often build recipes in advance of brewing them, it automatically puts a start date in the session data tab, thereby populating the calendar with the dates that I need to be doing things. Is it possible to build a recipe without a session data?

Also, is it possible to save separate session datas for different brew dates of the same beer without being forced to change the name? I think I'm just missing how to do this...

Oh yeah! one more thing, in BS2 i was able to add a assistant brewer and it seems thats gone from bs3?

When I build recipes, I type in the date as 1/1/2001.  That sets all my recipes with the same date and so far in the past it will not show up on the calendar or be confused with any to which I have assigned a brew date.

I use the 'brew log' function in BeerSmith to separate those recipes I brew from my library of recipes.  You can copy any recipe to the brew log by highlighting that recipe and clicking on 'copy to log' in the ribbon tool bar.  If the brew log folder does not exist, BeerSmith will create one for you and place a copy of your recipe in that folder.  I can then change the date to my brew date, make any last minute changes or updates, and enter brew session data when I am brewing that recipe.  This leaves my original library recipe intact and allows me to save that particular brew session away from the others.  I have attached a screen shot of how my brew log looks with recipes lined up for the near future and folders for those which are fermenting and archived recipes with their session data included.

Attachments

• brew log.JPG
    brew log.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 341
I don't know why Brad changed that input.  It disappeared sometime during the beta testing of v3.0 and, since I don't use it at all, I really didn't notice.

Sorry.

Cheers! I swear it was in the recipe build section before, but now I see it's in Notes!

This along with the brew log will make life easier! now if only things would automatically bounce to the cloud like shopping lists, and ingredients on hand I'd be happy as an Imperial Stout in the dead of winter here in Wisconsin!

You can always add the asst brewer to the main page with the select fields option on the bottom right.  I added it as I was always using it to keep track of my batch number.

Under Options-Brewing, at the bottom is some parameters for the calendar. You can choose which folder to include in the calendar as well as exclude any recipe that you are not the brewer on. I have mine set to show the brew log only, and put planned brews in a separate "On-Deck" folder.

You can save the same recipe with different dates, pull up the recipe, change the date, then "Save As" using same recipe name.

Back