• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pro Equipment Profiles

limulus

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello All, I just purchased the professional license.  I'll be installing a 5bbl system.  I thought there were some pro equipment profiles already built into the software.  However, I only see options for home brewing equipment.  Am I looking in the wrong place?

Welcome to the club!

There really aren't any built in profiles because there really aren't any "standard" brew systems. But, they're relatively easy to create.

When I commission a new system, I do a couple of water batches, first. I record flow speeds, temperature losses, heating times and volumes. A lot of this can be done with a calibrated sight glass on the HLT. All of that goes into BeerSmith.

I've learned that for strike temperatures, the grain seems to always take about 11oF. I will add 165oF water to the mashtun and leave it for 5 minutes with the rakes going (if that applies). The temperature it settles at is the target for adjusting the mash tun weight (and sometimes specific heat).

The first recipe you design for adjusting the equipment & mash profiles should be in line with the "optimal" gravity your system is designed for. In most cases, that's about 12P though some manufacturers have standardized at 14P for US craft brewers. This is important because the grain bed depth will determine your vourloff and initial runoff rates. Runoff rates are calculated in column inch velocity, not gpm.

For the first recipe, it should be a simple  type.like an pale ale or American wheat. Going with an heavy hopped IPA or something with a narrow target range can be both confusing and disappointing. You want to measure what your brewhouse will do under optimal circumstances. This recipe will fine tune your losses and heating/chilling times.

Back