• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Pump and Chiller mess

Mtnmangh

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
So, been brewing a bunch this year, and I made a few improvements, including some new equipment. I already had a Plate chiller, but I purchased a pump this year and can now shoot everything from sparge/strike water to the mash and wort through my chiller. After all that?s done is where my problems begin. There is a significant amount of wort left in the chiller and hoses. How does one deal with this issue?  It?s been making a huge mess on my floor and brew stand. There has to be a better way. Air? Any help would be appreciated.

First, My plate chiller is mounted with the inlet high and the outlet low (I'll send a pic when i get home)

Second, I use O2 out of my oxygen tank to push the wort through when i'm done, just connect an O2 line to the hose and crank it on high, this effectively pushes the wort out. I've also pushed it out with water before, as at least the water isn't a sticky mess!

To combat the other messes, i bought a large "oil drip pan" from an auto parts store, that sits under everything to catch any liquid that does spill. In addition to this, I have a 2.5 Gallon wet/dry vac mounted on the wall next to my setup to vacuum up any messes i missed.

plate chiller bottom right of photo, mounted like this the wort all gravity drains essentially. Some things have changed since this photo for me lol... but there's also usually a metal drip pan under everything thats not pictured, and turn the vent to go out the window, not onto the floor lol... I took this right after epoxying my floor.

I mounted my plate chiller to be detachable from my brew stand so I could take it into my laundry room and use the sink there to clean it out. Attach a hose to the outlet and back flush then put the hose on the inlet and run more water. Continue doing the until it comes out clean both directions.

Ultimately however I got rid of the plate chiller and got a counter flow.

Mine is also detachable although i never do, I find that a counterflow takes quite a bit longer to cool 20-30 gallon batches. I wish they made extra large counterflow chillers, I've yet to find one. Using a 36", 60 plate chiller from Duda and it only takes 5-10 minutes to bring the kettle to pitching temps. Main reason to bring kettle down close to pitching temps is you perform a cold break in the kettle, reducing break material from going into the fermenter, many folks just pitch straight off the chiller.

Thanks all. I appreciate the ideas. The O2 may be an idea I use. Also, they do make a bigger Plate Chiller. Saw one in use at a local brewery. I?ll post. Drip pans are a great idea also.

This plate chiller is an upsized version of the therminator I use. Commercial for sure. Pretty awesome looking

Not looking for a bigger plate chiller. My B3-36A 60 Plate Duda works great, I said i wish they made a bigger counterflow, haven't seen one. It seems most commercial chillers are rebuildable plate chillers. Mine is at the bottom of the list here: http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=%2Bbeer+%2Bwort+%2Bchiller&i=beerchillers

and can cool wort at a rate of 3.19GPM to 5GPM of water. The only down side to Plate chillers, is that you have to be extra cautious to not get any excess of debris in them, as you can plug them up. Counterflows are far less likely to get plugged, and if/when they do, it's generally right at the inlet or outlet.

As far as your plate chiller goes, With the hose configuration, I would think you would be able to mount it with the outlet down low (mounted vertically?) so that the liquid would always flow out when you're done using it, or with the ends both on the top, so you could disconnect and then carry it to the sink?

Mine has to weigh at least 40lbs, so i don't move it frequently. (now i'm curious enough to weigh it...)

Back