• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast Addition

Cabin

Brewer
Reaction score
Hello Everyone
My recipe calls for 2 pack of Omega 200 yeast.

When I add a yeast starter to BS I see where to tell it that I am using 2 packs of yeast.

How do I adjust the amount of DME to reflect 2 packs of yeast?
The amount of DME does not change when I add the second pack of yeast.

TIA
Bob

The starter volume and gravity fields are where you make changes. The amount of DME will change to reflect what you enter.

So if BS says Est. Orginal Gravity 1.112
Then I should use 21.04oz using a 2l starter?

Bob

Cabin said:
So if BS says Est. Orginal Gravity 1.112
Then I should use 21.04oz using a 2l starter?

I'm sorry, what, and where, exactly are you talking about? Starters should be 1.032 to 1.040 OG.

My response was about the starter tab in the recipe. You can change the starter volume and gravity, then the DME amount is changed accordingly. This is independent of the recipe ingredients.

Make sure that the yeast packaging date is correct and that your brew date (in the design tab) is set for today or in the future so that viability is also calculated.

Sorry to be confusing
What I need to to know is how much DME add for 2 pkg of Omega 200 yeast. My recipe wants 2 pkg of yeast
I thought maybe 2 pkg of yeast would require double the amount of DME
But I think your saying the OG of the starter should be 1.040 no matter the number of pkg of yeast

With two packs of Omega OYL-200 your cell count will be approaching 300 billion. Do you need a starter?

If you open your recipe and then click the "Starter" tab you will see the section labeled Liquid Yeast Starter Size.

When you select the size of the starter you want to make it will show you how much Dry Malt Needed. (The Starter Gravity is probably at a default of 1.036)

Under that it will show you how many cells estimated with that size starter. You can increase or decrease the starter size to raise or lower that number to match Yeast Cells Needed as predicted by the software.

Another calculation will be made if you select Yeast Cells With Stir Plate.

Don't forget to edit the yeast to add the manufacture date so you get an accurate cell count estimate.

Back