• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Carbonation Help

bobo1898

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
Have an IPA that's been in my keg for the last week at 12 PSI. Pulled a sample yesterday and it was not quite carbed, but close (was on 12 PSI for 6 days)--it had a mix of small bubbles and large bubbles with some residual head. Planning to bottle it from the keg today so I cranked up the pressure to 24 PSI. Let it sit for 19 hours.

Released the pressure today and reset it to 12 PSI and drew a sample. The beer seemed worse than yesterday--large bubbles (see attached). Need/want to bottle this today because it's needed/expected for the weekend and holiday. Is there any quick method to get it ready? Or will I really have to let it sit longer?

I just cranked it back to 25 PSI and rolled it on the ground for 5 minutes. I put it back in the fridge and left it at 25. Will most likely let it settle for 30 minutes before releasing the pressure and resetting to 12 PSI. Probably won't pull a sample again until tonight.

Any suggestions would help. Normally my beer carbs within the 7 days, sometimes 8, but this batch was a little more than 5 gallons so there wasn't a ton of surface area.

Attachments

• IMG_4118.JPG
    IMG_4118.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 337
either a stone or shaking the hell out of it will help, but nothing is better than time. I generally expect 2-3 weeks MINIMUM for proper carbonation in kegs.

p.s. your pic just looks like exactly what you've got, an under carbed beer. next time plan on 3 weeks if you're just carbing at serving pressure.

when i'm in a hurry i'll set to 30psi and shake every 30-60 minutes for a whole day, then let it set for a few days at 30, then drop to serve pressure. with that method I'll get a mediocre carb inside of a week, but just giving it 3 weeks (or more) at serve pressure i find to be the best.

Yeah, I've been able to get away with 7-10 days for some styles, but I'd say most every time 10 days has been good for me. Didn't give myself enough time and I should have done the burst carbonation method in hindsight. But I do agree letting it sit for the 10-21 days is the best method. I probably would always recommend at least 10-14 days, but I just get so excited to drink it!

I cut off the pressure after 30 minutes, of what I previously posted, and let it sit an additional 30 minutes. Released the pressure and reset to 12 PSI. It was better. Let it sit for another 30 minutes and it's ten times better than where it was before. I'm going to let it sit for another hour and see what where it's at. I think I'll be okay to bottle it today. Just not fun trying to dial it in last minute.

Next time, if I don't have enough time to do it for two weeks, I'll burst carb--30 PSI for 36 hours then serving pressure for a few more days.

Thanks for the response.

try a diffusion stone if you've got one handy, or set it to 30 and keep shaking it for awhile.

I've also set the keg upside down and used a small valve on the beer out set to allow the co2 to escape at a SLOW pace. with the keg upside down this will allow the co2 to enter the keg at what's now the bottom (top) and then exit out the liquid out which keeps the beer constantly stirred with co2.

Back