• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Issue with hop amounts after scaling up a recipe

Nodrog

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi there,

I had something odd happen when I scaled up a recipe. I had a recipe for a 5 gallon batch that I input into Beersmith. I then scaled up to my equipment (6 gallon batch). However, I noticed that the hop amounts didn't seem to scale consistently. I still have basically the same overall IBU, but the big difference is my 0 minute addition shows 0 IBUs for the original message, but once scaled up it seems to reshuffle the hop values and that 0 minute charge shows 5.7 IBUs.

I'm just wondering if this make sense and what the difference could be between the original recipe and my scaled recipe.

Original recipe

Scaled recipe

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 8.48.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 8.48.25 AM.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 263
  • Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 8.49.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-22 at 8.49.26 AM.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 293
Generally 0 minute hop additions are assumed to be right before chilling, so no IBU are calculated.  There may be something in your equipment profile which may be attributing some steeping time.  If you export the recipes as .bsmx files, before and after scaling, and post them here, we can see what might be suddenly giving the 0 minute add some IBU value.

Ahh, it looks like you were spot on. In my equipment profile I had a time entered in the Total Whirlpool Time field. I guess I assumed that would have only taken into consideration hop additions what where out in as steep/whirlpool additions. I guess it's best just to add that directly to the individual hop additions and not in the equipment profile.

Thanks for the help.

Back