• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

batch sparge

lowell

Apprentice
Reaction score
The brew sheet tells me to drain tun when mash is complete, then gives  amount water to add for "batch sparge round one", then add water to make up boil volume. Shouldn't there be a "round two"

I think you need the check box for sparge using equal size batches checked.
However
If the grain bill is to large, I think BeerSmith only does one round because there is so much water in the grist. I have Scotch that came in at 1.104 and it only had one sparge round even with a 120 min boil. It was a 20# grain bill and I could have made two beers with this thing. The Scotch Ale and then an Old Ale with the second running's. But I did not want to have an all day brew session.

Cheers
Preston

UselessBrewing said:
I think you need the check box for sparge using equal size batches checked.
However
If the grain bill is to large, I think BeerSmith only does one round because there is so much water in the grist. I have Scotch that came in at 1.104 and it only had one sparge round even with a 120 min boil. It was a 20# grain bill and I could have made two beers with this thing. The Scotch Ale and then an Old Ale with the second running's. But I did not want to have an all day brew session.

Cheers
Preston

Actually, I have had brew sheets that calculated three separate sparges.  I assumed it was because the first two, (equal) sparges would exceed tun capacity if also 1/2 of the third sparge was added to each of the first two.

Back