• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Aeration

BeerSmith

Staff member
Administrator
Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
How do you aerate your wort?

Admittedly I'm a bit lazy - I usually let it splash into the fermenter and then shake the fermenter for a few minutes before I top it off and pitch the yeast.

I've never had problems with this method, but I was wondering if anyone had a better idea short of hooking up oxygen.

Cheers!
Brad

I was a Splash-n-Shake brewer up until my last batch. I finally broke down and bought an aeration system from HBA. It was a little over $20 with a 10% discount. The O2 bottle is about $5 or so from a hardware store.

My last batch was a porter fermented with steam yeast and an OG of 1.068; predicted FG was 1.020. I aerated with the setup for about 30 seconds, pitched the yeast, and let things progress as normal.

I didn't have a terribly active fermentation (so I thought), but it carried on for at least a week before the churning in the wort died down. After 10 days in primary, I racked to secondary, and took a gravity reading... 1.014  :eek: I wasn't expecting that at all. At first I thought there was some sort of infection, but the FG is stable. It was my healthiest fermentation yet, and I attribute it solely to the use of pure O2.

Splash-n-Shake works, but man, it takes a toll on your back. I'll never abandon pure O2... never :)

I use an aquarium pump, but only because I can't get a cheap oxygen system here. Hopefully I'll be able to afford one soon, and then I'll join the big boys!

I do it like cmbrougham with an oxygen kit from Northern Brewer and a hardware store O2 bottle.

Honestly, with all grain brewing and pitching copious quantities of yeast, I haven't noticed any differences from the aerated batches to the ones that I don't aerate.  I always use oxygen to aerate my starters though.

Cheers!

Back