• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Ancient or very old beer recipes

Aplam

Apprentice
Reaction score
I recently listened to a podcast about ancient beers, and I thought it would be fun to try and replicate an historic or ancient beer recipe. For instance, maybe there is something that was translated from Egyptian hieroglyphics, or perhaps a recipe uncovered by archaeologists at the ruins of Pompeii.

I guess my question is, do any of you know of any ancient beer recipes that I can try to brew?

Thanks!

My interest only goes back to the early 1800's but there are several books about ancient beer and how to make them. The first that comes to mind is Ancient Brews: Rediscovered and Re-created

Hello,

I'm also excited about all the ancient stuff connected with brewing. I remember one article I found a couple of months ago: 2,550-Year-Old Celtic Beer Recipe Resurrected - it was a post on Wired (can't find the link to it right now). Just curious, perhaps someone has a beer recipe from ancient Celts.

Back