• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash & Lautering Adjustments in BeerSmith 3 Software

vintage63

Apprentice
Reaction score
After reading several posts on this topic and trying to determine the correct figures to input, I am even more confused.  Is there anyone out there that can help in lay person terms?  I measured all my MLT numbers and came up with the following:

Total water underneath false bottom: 2 gallons
Total water remaining in bottom of MLT after draining completely to boil kettle: 1.055 gallons

What numbers should I input into the fields

Recoverable Mash Tun Deadspace:
Mash Deadspace Losses:

Then, should I check the box "Adjust Mash Volume for Losses"?

Thank you in advance for any help in my confusion. 

So, the definitions of each are as follows:

Mash Tun Deadspace Loss is the volume of fluid which cannot be drained from the mash tun during the lautering.

Recoverable Mash tun Deadspace is the volume under the false bottom of the mash tun which drains out when lautering.

Given your measurements, these values should be calculated as the mash tun dead space loss = 1.055 gallons.
The recoverable dead space is the total volume under the false bottom less the dead space loss = 2 gal - 1.055 gal = 0.945 gallons

When you check the box for adjusting the mash tun volume for losses, the program will consider your desired water to grain ratio as that amount of water which is in contact with the grains.  It will take this value of water to grain ratio times the weight of the grain and then add the total volume under false bottom to give you an infusion volume of water for mashing.

When this box is not checked, the program will add the mash tun losses to the product of the water to grain ratio times the weight of the grain, but not the recoverable volume.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions if needed.

Oginme,

I've noticed you commenting on other posts in relation to the GF.

I'm new to brewing and I'm similarly trying to configure BS3 for my set up. What are the mash/lautering adjustments for the GF?

Also, what mash profile would I use? I watched a video describing it as a single infusion process - is this right?

And if you mash at 66 then mash out 75, is this a 2 stage mash process in the app?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Steve

Just a quick disclaimer, I do not have a GF but I have spent much time working on different processes. 

BeerSmith is set up to be pretty universal in basic process variables which are common to every brewer's process.  It is also very versatile in allowing the user to adjust the profiles as needed to accommodate their particular brewing style.

For the GF, I would recommend starting out with a single infusion mash profile.  If you are mashing in for a 66C saccharification rest, then mashing out at 75C you will have a single infusion mash with a mash out step.  Are you doing no sparge?  Pouring your sparge through the basket? Or batch sparging in a separate pail/kettle/container? 

I would take a single infusion mash profile for medium or light body.  Copy it and give it a new name.  I like to number mine so that they immediately jump to the top of the mash profiles listings and are easier to find.  Now open the profile to edit it.  Set the grain temperature, Tun temperature (your GF), and sparge water temperature to reflect your typical conditions.  Since you are working with the GF and most likely will be recirculating your mash liquor through the grain bed, I would set the GF temperature to be your desired mash temp, since you will be allowing the GF to control the temperature. 

Now click to highlight the mash step in the dialog box and either double click it or click on 'edit step'.  Change the mash step temperature to 66F.  Now, here is where you need to know your system limitations.  Set the infusion volume ('water to add') to the recommended value for the GF.  David Heath has a series of GF videos that are well worth watching and he discusses volumes in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBjD124jkIo

You can double click on the mash out step and set the temperature you want there.  Since you will be using the Grainfather to control and raise the temperature, this is just a temperature step and you may need to change the step type in your mash profile from 'infusion' to 'temperature'. 

If you are not sparging, then click the BIAB mash with full boil box and enter in an estimated number for your initial volume at the start of the boil.  The program will adjust this number when the profile is used in a recipe, but it gives you a quick look at the volume of the mash versus the capacity of the GF.  From my understanding, the GF will only do about a 14 liter batch if you do no sparge brewing.  Again, I would refer you to some of David Heath's videos on the GF as a guide.

If you are going to pour through or fly sparge, then you don't need to check anything, it is the default setting for the mash profile sparge step.  BeerSmith will calculate an approximate volume for you to use in your sparge automatically.  From my few attempts at fly sparging, I would prepare excess water and sparge until you reach your desired pre-boil volume.

If you are going to do a batch sparge, and I know some people do this in a bucket with their GF basket, then click the box for 'batch sparge using batches that fill' and you can set the sparge amount for whatever your bucket or kettle will hold in relationship to the GF.

I hope this helps.  There are several videos and guides on the BeerSmith YouTube channel and if you search it you can find several others set up videos for the GF and BeerSmith profiles which can help with your set up and adjustment to match your particular piece of equipment.

Thanks Oginme! A great help indeed!

I will be sparging through the bed but assumed this came after mash out ? or am I wrong?

This will be my first attempt at brewing ever and I'll be trying to copy cat Brewdog's Dead Pony Club. Struggling a bit trying to interpret their recipe while getting my head around the volumes but I know the hop additions need a boil volume of 25L, so can use this as an anchor point. Its just that they also mention a 'Volume' of 20L before the boil volume and I assumed that this to be the pre-mash volume with sparge water topping up losses to the 25L boil volume.

And I'm all over the David Heath videos but great to know Beersmith has a channel, so thanks for the heads up. I know that I'll get it all eventually but there's so much to learn and I'm on a steep trajectory at the minute.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the tips and greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Steve

Back