• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Most efficient way to clean bottles?

Stercomancy

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just acquired 48 bottles for my first homebrew. What's the best way to clean them? I'll obviously StarSan them before I bottle. Is that enough?

No. Sanitation and cleaning are two different things. You can't sanitize a bottle that isn't clean, i.e. free of debris. When I pour a homebrewed beer from a bottle, I immediately rinse the bottle 2-3 times with a bit of water and drain it upside down. That prevents anything from growing in them. Those bottles are put in a location with other "trusted" bottles. Sometimes I get bottles returned to me that have cat hair all over the outside, have tons of grey hair gunk and build-up inside, etc. Those filthy ones get a soak in hot PBW for an hour followed by a thorough scrubbing with a brush until a look inside with a bright light in the background shows no debris. Some are too hard to clean and get thrown away. The cleaned ones get put into storage with my "trusted" bottles. A few days before bottling I take these bottles that are now known to be clean and I rinse them 3 times with hot water, inside and out, to remove and PBW residues, dust, or anything else that might have gotten in there despite my careful storage. I drain and dry them upside down. Then on bottling day, a few hours before bottling, I do a StarSan rinse on them.

If the bottles you just acquired are new and unused, then a quick rinse with a hot, soapy solution (preferably PBW or ABW) followed by thorough rinsing should be enough to clean them. Then use StarStan shortly  before bottling.

--GF

Understand that Star San is a sanitizing solution and not a cleaner. You clean first then sanitize with the Star San. That's what GigaFemto means when he says; Sanitation and cleaning are two different things. You can't sanitize a bottle that isn't clean

Step one: throw bottles in the trash
Step two: buy a kegerator :p

seriously, they make jet washing attachments that hook onto like a hose thread, I used to attach that to my washing machines hot water outlet. followed that with a quick brushing in pbw water, followed by a quick rinse with the jet rinser, followed by sanitizing via a bottle sanitizer thing. then drying on a bottle tree.

there's also the "fastwasher" may be good for rinsing/sanitizing, not sure i'd trust it for legitimate washing.

I received a 'fastwasher' as a gift and agree that it is only good for rinsing and sanitizing.  Not enough power to loosen dried on dirt, proteins, and other nasties inside.  Better off with a soak in an alkaline washer then rinse and sanitize using the fastwasher.

Back