• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Wild Spontaneous Beer pH Too High?

bobo1898

Grandmaster Brewer
Master Brewer
Reaction score
Question for all you sour/wild brewers.

Brewed a spontaneously fermented beer using a turbid mash. OG was 1.047. Decided to take a peek at it (8 months in) and took a gravity and pH reading. Gravity is at 1.000 but the pH is at 4.3. Isn't that high for the pH? That seems more along the lines of a normally fermented beer, but I was expecting lower for wild yeast--below 4.

It didn't taste like much. Had some vague pilsner characteristics and very light fruitiness. Grain bill was just pilsner, raw wheat and aromatic malt. Added aged hops in the boil and yeast nutrient. The eventual plan was to split it and add fruit to half of it while bottling the base. Note that it has sat in the primary fermenter for this entire time so it's still on top of the yeast cake.

Should I give it more time? June will mark the 1 year mark. Or perhaps add some acid to it?

I do have a used barrel that has some funk. It's in use right now, but I'm going to empty it this week. Really wanted to keep the spontaneous out of it.

Should I leave this beer alone or try to add something to it?

At that gravity it fermented out but not with yeast/bacteria that threw off any acid. Do you know what the ph of the beer was at pitching time? Another possibility is that the acid was neutralized...by perhaps the water alkalinity?

I think the best you can do is at lactic acid to get the sourness. You could put it in a barrel or pitch bret but again, since your gravity is 1.000 there isn't anything left to really chew on.

Mark

Thanks for the response.

At pitching time, I did not check the pH. But I did hit my mash pH at 5.3.

I brew with my tap water and adjust. After adding minerals/salts, the water hit:

Ca (73)
Na (50)
SO (98)
Cl (94)

The water bicarbonate is 114 before adjustments. Alkalinity is 93, if I'm not mistaken. In addition to using lactic acid to treat the sparge water, I typically use lactic acid in the mash to hit the pH if I don't have acidulated malt. This was one of those times.

So it sounds like I'm not going to get much out of this unless I add acid to it? Or perhaps age it in my funky barrel?

Your carbonates aren't too bad so don't think it was the alkalinity.

Yeah, try the bugged barrel. That sure worked with our club's solera! Depending on the size of barrel, it could sour fairly quick. Then, if not where you want it add acid to taste.

Mark

Back