• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

raisin sugar content figured into calcs

On the side of the package there should be the nutritional information which will give you the number of grams in a serving and then the grams of sugar in that serving.  Applying the percentage of sugar in the raisins against the extract potential of a lb of sugar in 1 gallon of water will give you the extract potential of the raisins.

On the package of raisins I have used it listed the serving size as 40 grams and the sugar content as 29 grams.  This will give you a weight ratio of 29 grams / 40 grams = 72.5%.  The extract potential of sugar is 1.046 or 46 points.  72.5% of 46 is 33 (rounding down).  So the potential of the raisins is 1.033.

Thanks for the info. Mine were bulk, so there was no packaging information. I will use yours as a benchmark. Hopefully this batch will turn out. 12.5lb straight from the hive honey, 16 oz white raisins and lots of fingers crossed!

Oginme said:
On the side of the package there should be the nutritional information which will give you the number of grams in a serving and then the grams of sugar in that serving.  Applying the percentage of sugar in the raisins against the extract potential of a lb of sugar in 1 gallon of water will give you the extract potential of the raisins.

On the package of raisins I have used it listed the serving size as 40 grams and the sugar content as 29 grams.  This will give you a weight ratio of 29 grams / 40 grams = 72.5%.  The extract potential of sugar is 1.046 or 46 points.  72.5% of 46 is 33 (rounding down).  So the potential of the raisins is 1.033.

Fantastic post.  Thanks! I wish this forum had upvotes!

Back