• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Hoegaarden clone and when to remove spices

Grummore

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Hi there, again.

I'm planning a few beers for the next few weeks and a witbier hoegaarden clone is among these.

After many research, only few questions were remaining (at least for now!) and it was about Coriander seeds and orange peels.

Let's say:

Steeping grains for 30 min
Boil extract and hop for 60 min

At flameout or a few minutes before (not sure what I should do yet), throw Crushed coriander seeds and orange peels in the wort.

*** Now, when do I remove these 2 spices?
? After cooling is completed?
? After primary fermentation is completed (do I transfer these spices in secondary or should I put them IN the primary instead to flameout?)

Thanks!

I do a straining of my wort as I siphon it into the fermenter, so I end up taking out some of the larger bits of coriander.  Smaller particles, I just let go through.  They will settle to the bottom of the fermenter and get covered with the rest of the trub and yeast cake. 

Other people I know put their spices in a bag and remove it after chilling. 

Again, it is your choice and there is no correct way to do this, only the possibility of different outcomes.  Without trying it, you will never know which you like better (or not trying it and not know what you might be missing).

Thank you again,

I know there are so many ways to create a different version of a beer, but since I'm never too confident while brewing (even if after 4 years and 13 brews), I'm always grateful when someone gives me simple explanations on how he would do it first. Once I've done one type of beer (like this witbier), then I will be more inclined to test new things :)

Would you to choose, would you put these spices X mins before flameout, at flameout, in primary and/or in secondary?

Sorry if I ask many questions, I don't have many luxury times in my life and I use these few moments to learn about and brew beer. I think I like this :)

Btw, good thought at the bottom of your message. I give my grains to my cow :-D (I'm a gentleman farmer/math teacher/rented builing owner/3kids/wife/toomuch/...)

Questions are not a problem at all.  It is how we learn about new things.

I just brewed a summer ale last Sunday with coriander and lemon peel.  I added them the last couple of minutes of the boil and then chilled the wort down fairly quickly after.  If I were adding whirlpool hops or anything else that would extend the time it took me to move the wort to chill it, I would add them in at flame out. 

My spent grains go to the goats to make milk out of them.  I certainly understand the issues with time:  engineer/part time dairy farmer/business owner/too much in demand speaker/member of BOD for non-profit/luckily my kids are grown/way too much/etc.

Back