• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New brewer on the upper left coast ...

SkyFlyer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
My name is Bob.
I live in Astoria, Or.
I am a beach bum when not working or brewing.
I started extract brewing this past July.
I have made around 8 - 5 gallon batches.
It is turning out good!
I made the jump to AG a week ago.
I just got BeerSmith to help me with my journey!
I am starting small, with plans to get some kegs soon.
Wish me luck!
I expect to be on the forum with questions.
Bob

Welcome Bob

Looks like you listed about 90% of the reasons I brew.

;D

Thanks for the welcome.

Initially, I thought, hey I can make beer cheaper than I can buy it!
Ha ha!
Maybe in 10 years.  Seems like I am buying some new thingee every time I order supplies.
All for a good cause!
I am making good beer (at least me and the girlfriend like it).
A good hobby, keeps me off the street!

SkyFlyer said:
Thanks for the welcome.

Initially, I thought, hey I can make beer cheaper than I can buy it!
Ha ha!
Maybe in 10 years.  Seems like I am buying some new thingee every time I order supplies.
All for a good cause!
I am making good beer (at least me and the girlfriend like it).
A good hobby, keeps me off the street!

When you stop purchasing items for your brewery, it is no longer a hobby and you are simply an alcoholic.

Well, that is what some people say.

As I began to develop my brewery I bought items that I would not have to be purchasing again.  I did not buy a boil kettle that was too small and will need to be replaced in a year or so.

I upgrade my brewery with items that will, 1)  Offer a higher level of safety, 2)  Make my beer taste better, and 3)  Allow me to become more costly, 4)  Make brewing easier.  That criteria has allowed me to upgrade in a fashion that is systematic and orderly.  I am not tempted to purchase stuff just because.

I agree.
I really only have been getting little things that I need.
I definetely need a bigger kettle.  It is unreal how much they cost for the larger ones.
When I have the funds, I'll look for a Sanke and convert it to a keggle.
the cooler will work for mash tun for some time.  I may get a larger size cooler in time.
Then some Cornelius kegs, then some ....
I need some disposable income!

Welcome aboard Skyflyer!  You are are are in parallel in; Length of brewing tenure, batch count, and in the desire to shift to AG.  You got the AG jump on me because SWMBO has me on a 1 month hiatus.  (Luckily, I ramped up a little before hand)

Rep and I share the same view on trying to plan ahead a step or two.  The only thing I've bought thus far that could ever get decommissioned would be my 5 gallon pot.  But even that will be utilized for sparge water while I stumble along through the first few AG batches with slightly inferrior equipment.

Now you have great software, a great forum and great people.  This site doesn't get the traffic that some due, but you'll get a qualified couple of opinions if you post a question or want to bounce a hypothesis around. 

If you haven't already noticed, this is one hobby where people really do want to help.  Even if you were in competition, the prevailing vibe is to help.  I think it is because we are all just looking to try more beer! ;D

Thanks for the welcome.
And best wishes to you too ...

My boss just made me an offer that I cannot refuse!
He is going to give me the money to get a sanke keg and convert to a keggle.
In turn I make him an IPA with the highest IBU that I can find.
And for however long it takes to pay him back (or another keg for a mash tun!).
I'll be looking for a few good strong recipes for that soon.

It will take some time to get the keg, cut the top, put in the fittings, but it will happens.
They say good things come to those who wait.  Well, I have been waiting long enough.
Wish me luck!

Back