• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Advice for fly sparging mash profile

Henway

Brewer
Reaction score
I think there are several questions here, but I'll try to make it clear.

My equipment is a keggle, a 10G gott (with fly sparge and false bottom), and a 5G Gott set up as a 3 tier.  I additionally have a square cooler and a 8G SS brewpot (my old one).

Typical recipes call for mashing at 152, then bringing up to 168, then (unless I'm mistaken) finishing off with 170F water no matter what the temp of everything is.

I moved up to 10G batches after getting my keggle a few months ago.  So if I am doing a 10G batch, my grain bill will be close to 25+lbs.  With the 10G Gott, it is limited to about 6.5 Gallons of water for the first mash until the volume is topped out.

I calculate the total water necessary as being something like 15 Gallons, meaning after the 6.5G goes into the 10G gott for the first mash, I have 8.5G left in the keggle.  I heat up half that to about 180 and drain it off into a square cooler (and assume it will go down to 170F by the time I need it--typically in a little more than an hour).  The remainder half I heat up to 201F or so as specified and put that in the 5G Gott and lift it up to 6ft tall mount. 

So I will have the first 6.5 Gallons of water at 170F, add to the 10G gott, add grain and hold for 45 minutes for a temp of 153F.  I'll then fly sparge 4.25G of 201F water over at least 45 minutes while slowly draining the wort to get 168F.  After that 40minutes, I add the final water at 170F.  It gets WAY more complicated when my second and third step are more than 10G of water, because I need to drain wort from the 10G to a secondary vessel because the keggle is still being used...

So here's the question--should my weight of the plastic coolers (3 of them!) be added or averaged or something else?

For Fly sparge method above, should I have it in my profile as Infusion Step 153F, Infusion 168F, and Temperature 170F?

Am I causing problems by only having 10G Gott capacity for mashing when I'm trying to do 10G batches?  With this setup I'm getting 64% efficiency with grain milled at my LBH the day before I brew.

So here's the question--should my weight of the plastic coolers (3 of them!) be added or averaged or something else?
I would make 3 different profiles, One for single, One for two, and add them together, and One for all three, and add them together. This should let you use how ever many it takes and will keep you temp's and volumes correct.

For Fly sparge method above, should I have it in my profile as Infusion Step 153F, Infusion 168F, and Temperature 170F?
I don't fly sparge, but it sounds correct to me.

Am I causing problems by only having 10G Gott capacity for mashing when I'm trying to do 10G batches?
Only for yourself, as long as you understand what you are doing and keep things straight. I don't believe it will harm anything. It may make it easier if you had a larger MT.

Cheers

Preston

Back