• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Double Dry Hopping

zincter

Apprentice
Reaction score
I am making a Hazy IPA that calls for double dry hopping in the primary fermenter (I am not using a secondary). When I add the dry hop additions that are the first round, beersmith lists  them as being in the secondary fermenter, and i can't figure out how to change it to primary. Also, when I add the second dry hop additions (identical to the first) they are not listed after the first dry hop additions, but rather, along side with their duplicate hops, so they are not in the correct sequence in the recipe.  Any ideas? 8)

Without seeing how you entered them into the recipe, it is hard to diagnose.  Export the recipe as a .bsmx file and post it for some specific feedback and help.

You can do this by clicking once on the file in the folder and then clicking 'file' > 'export as' and then selecting .bsmx as the file type.

Here you go...Thanks

Attachments

• Hazy IPA.bsmx
    41.9 KB · Views: 145
Ok, so you have two charges of hops both set for 5 days.  The program treats these hop charges as both going in together and staying in the fermenter for 5 days.  I am assuming that you are adding one set of hops for 5 days and then removing them and adding another set.  For the purposes of the program, the first set of hops is at the 10 day mark and should be set for 10 days, with the second charge going in for 5 days.  Regardless of how long you leave the hops in the fermenter, the time scale for the addition is based upon the time of fermentation.

I was confused with your comment about the hops being added to secondary according to the program.  There is nothing in the program which designates the hops as being in secondary. Maybe I am missing something.

If you are looking at the brew sheet, then the listing of the fermentation profile comes before the addition of dry hops, but this is not an indicator of them being in secondary.  All dry hop listings would be noted in this manner on the brew sheet.

When I am looking at my recipe with the design tab selected, under the "phase" column, it says secondary. there was no option at the time I added the dry hops, it just assumed secondary, and there doesnt seem to be a way to change it.

Thank You for your help with hop additions. It would be nice if it showed how long each charge was actually in contact with the beer, but this is a good work around.

OK, I see it now.  Since I have never used it, not sure why it acts the way it does.

As far as the dry hop schedule, I never bother to remove the hops before adding more in.  So the way it works is perfectly normal for me. 

Kegged my own NEIPA today with a hop charge at high krausen (day 2) and second charge for 5 days.  Keg hopped for the last charge and that will stay with it until it kicks, which may not be too far in the future.

Back