Author Topic: How can I improve this?  (Read 3726 times)

Offline kw642

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
Re: How can I improve this?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 10:49:39 AM »
Correct, I only have the three piece ones, but I'm going to try both of your suggestions.  I've already switched out the airlock on this batch 3 times this morning.  Keeps filling up with beer!

Offline kw642

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2019, 06:13:37 AM »
Thanks again for all the tips - this was a very educational process.  I've yet to see such an aggressive fermentation and I've ordered 4 1" ID uniseals which I will use from this point on.  How long is the pipe that you feed into the hole in the lid?  Do you have a way of clipping it to keep it from whipping around when things get particularly active?  So glad I stuck with this batch.  I was convinced it was infected and just about dumped it twice, but through research I learned about pellicles and a whole bunch of similar things and realized that my beer could very well turn out.  Yesterday had been 8 days so I had a taste (quite good) and took a reading (1.006 - OG was 1.040) and everything's looking promising going forward.

Thanks again

Offline dtapke

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2019, 09:08:12 AM »
you could use anything you want. I had access to some spare pieces of stainless tubing, so mine is rigid and attached to the fermenters. it sits about 1/2" inside my fermenters. (plastic conicals)

just plain ol 1" pvc flex tubing would work fine, set it in 1/2" or so then prop it in place however it works best. I've even got a friend who made a wooden radius that he sets on top of his fermenting buckets to hold it in place. I used to use tubing like that and would just prop a 12 pack of cans next to it to hold it "up" so it made the radius down into the "airlock" (typically a mason jar or random bucket with sanitizer)
32g eHERMS
Drinking: Dopplebock, NEIPA, Pils
Primary: empty
Secondary/Lagering:
Next Brew: RIS

Offline kw642

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2019, 11:51:47 AM »
Got the uniseals, any tips on where to get the 1" OD tube?  The only one I can get around here is extra think and has a 1/2 inch ID

Offline dtapke

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2019, 01:46:16 PM »
I've had no problem finding it at just about any hardware store for pvc, here's a link to some silicone tubing as well:
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/siliconetubing34id.htm
32g eHERMS
Drinking: Dopplebock, NEIPA, Pils
Primary: empty
Secondary/Lagering:
Next Brew: RIS

modification