• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

"Preview Brewsheet" button with a custom template

S

Shawn Hargreaves

Is there any way to change what brewsheet template the "Preview BrewSheet" toolbar button will display while I am editing  recipe?

I have created a custom brewsheet template, and can view this from the My Recipes page, but cannot figure out how to make the "Preview Brewsheet" button use it.

Thank you!

Hi,
No I think this is (unfortunately) hard coded.  You can certainly go to the main My Recipes page and click on Print Preview with the appropriate report selected.

I'll keep this in mind for the next version though - thanks!

Brad

Thanks!

Another feature that would be tremendously useful for custom reports would be if you could include class attributes in the HTML generated by macros like $INGREDIENTS, $MASH_STEPS, etc.

I'm using a CSS header to customize the report appearance, but since these macros generate a complex table with headers and multiple columns, I have no way to identify individual elements within that table. It would be awesome if the table could include class identifiers, eg. MASH_STEPS_HEADER_COLUMN_1, MASH_STEPS_COLUMN_1_ENTRY, etc, to enable more flexible CSS configurability.

Just want to be sure I understand something:  There is no way to edit the brewsheet?  That would definitely be a useful feature, since some/much of the brewsheet does not apply.

Another question:  Are there any plans to modify the program to accommodate RIMS system brewing?  Just little things like adding grains to heated water and recirculating for temperature increases, rather than infusions.

Finally, any thought to providing a Water Profile tool that calculates and displays mash and sparge water volume calculations and mineral treatment additions on one page?  It appears one must "profile" them separately or as a single volume (which really isn't very useful, since most people treat mash and sparge water separately).  Maybe I'm just missing it?

Thanks for any clarifications. 

Hi,
  You can create custom brewsheets of your own and use them as recipe templates on the main recipe displays, you just can't modify the "Brewsheet" that comes up when you press the brewsheet button.  There is a sample brewsheet template in the Templates directory under the C:\Program Files\BeerSmith directory.

I have not looked at RIMS yet, but if you can email me a description of what you think needs changing, I can take a look at it.  Not is a good time as I'm in the middle of a major rewrite for BS 2.0.

I had not thought of separate water profiles for mash/sparge but I can see where this might make sense.  Perhaps display them separately on the brewsheet if needed as well.

Cheers,
Brad

OCD Brewer said:
Just want to be sure I understand something:  There is no way to edit the brewsheet?  That would definitely be a useful feature, since some/much of the brewsheet does not apply.

This offer is clearly not for everyone, but I modified the "recipetxt.txt" file in the Templates folder as attached.  This file is what creates the Text view/option from the drop down box at the top, when you're looking at your recipes.   Below is the output it generates.  You have to replace (or rename) the original version of the file, and when you run updates, BeerSmith restores it, so you have to replace it again.  But, this is a fairly complete brewsheet view using a lot of existing $codes within BeerSmith already.  

Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
Recipe: 08C English Pale Ale v2 TYPE: All Grain
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
Est SRM: 12.8 SRM SRM RANGE: 6.0-18.0 SRM
Est IBU: 52.2 IBU IBU RANGE: 30.0-50.0 IBU
Est OG: 1.061 SG OG RANGE: 1.048-1.060 SG
Est FG: 1.016 SG FG RANGE: 1.010-1.016 SG
Est BU:GU: 0.858 Calories: 275 cal/pint Est ABV: 5.89 %
EE%: 78.00 % Batch: 3.90 gal      Boil: 4.50 gal BT: 65 Mins
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU     
1 Pkgs        SafAle English Ale S-04 (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale                 
1 Pkgs        Windsor Yeast (Lallemand #-)              Yeast-Ale                 

Ingredients for Mashing
3.50 lb       Pale Malt, Halcyon (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SGrain        42.74 %       
3.00 lb       Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM)             Grain        36.63 %       
0.36 lb       Amber (Crisp) (28.0 SRM)                  Grain        4.40 %       
0.18 lb       Cara 20 (Dingemans) (23.0 SRM)            Grain        2.20 %       
0.18 lb       Cara 8 (Dingemans) (7.5 SRM)              Grain        2.20 %       
0.18 lb       Caramalt (Simpsons) (35.0 SRM)            Grain        2.20 %       
0.18 lb       Carawheat (Weyermann) (50.0 SRM)          Grain        2.20 %       
0.18 lb       Melanoidin (Weyermann) (30.0 SRM)         Grain        2.20 %       
0.12 lb       Biscuit (Dingemans) (24.5 SRM)            Grain        1.47 %       
0.12 lb       Crystal 77 (Crisp) (75.0 SRM)             Grain        1.47 %       
0.12 lb       Special B (Dingemans) (147.5 SRM)         Grain        1.47 %       
0.07 lb       Oats, Golden Naked (Simpsons) (10.0 SRM)  Grain        0.85 %       
0.04 tsp      Amylase Enzyme (Mash 60.0 min)            Misc                       

Total Grain Weight: 8.19 lb Total Hops: 2.00 oz.
---MASH PROCESS-----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Mash In            Add 10.24 qt of water at 164.2 F    152.5 F       
10 min        Mash Out           Add 0.00 qt of water at 168.0 F     168.0 F       

---SPARGE PROCESS---------------------------
Add first wort hops during sparge
0.50 oz       Challenger [5.70 %]  (70 min) (First Wort Hops         17.8 IBU     
0.50 oz       First Gold 7 [6.70 %]  (70 min) (First WorHops         20.9 IBU     
Sparge with 2.92 gal of 168.0 F water.

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.053 Est OG: 1.061 SG
Boil Ingredients
Boil         Amount       Item                                      Type         
30 min       0.25 oz      Challenger [5.70 %]  (30 min)             Hops         
30 min       0.25 oz      First Gold 7 [6.70 %]  (30 min)           Hops         
25 min       1.05 items   Preheat Chiller Outside (Boil 25.0 min)   Misc         
15 min       0.25 oz      Challenger [5.70 %]  (15 min)             Hops         
15 min       0.25 oz      First Gold 7 [6.70 %]  (15 min)           Hops         
13 min       1.00 items   Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 13.0 min)          Misc         
10 min       2.20 gm      Wyeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min)           Misc         
9 min        1.00 items   Wort Chiller (Boil 9.0 min)               Misc         

---NOTES----------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• recipetxt.txt
    880 bytes · Views: 403
Hi,
  Give the new template a new name and drop it in the Templates directory.

If you then go to the "Options" dialog and "Reports" tab you can add your new template there (Recipe, text template).  That way it won't be rewritten every time you update.

Cheers,
Brad

Thanks, I was thinking about doing that. But you beet me to it. You could just create another report, Name it and then you dont have to worry about upgrades.

Cheers
Preston

Hey Brad.  First off, thanks very much for the fast and thoughtful response.  I'm really impressed by your open mindedness in regards to modifying BeerSmith.  You just got a new customer!  My responses to yours are in caps below.

Chris
------
Hi,
  You can create custom brewsheets of your own and use them as recipe templates on the main recipe displays, you just can't modify the "Brewsheet" that comes up when you press the brewsheet button.  There is a sample brewsheet template in the Templates directory under the C:\Program Files\BeerSmith directory.  EXCELLENT!  I COULDN'T FIGURE THIS OUT YESTERDAY, BUT WILL LOOK AT IT NOW.  AND THANKS TO MALTLICKER.  THAT LOOKS LIKE A GREAT VERSION OF THE TEMPLATE.

I have not looked at RIMS yet, but if you can email me a description of what you think needs changing, I can take a look at it.  Not is a good time as I'm in the middle of a major rewrite for BS 2.0.  THAT WILL TAKE ME A LITTLE WHILE, BUT I'LL DEFINITELY DO IT (IN A SEPARATE NOTE).  I THINK MOST OF THE CHANGES I HAVE IN MIND WOULD BE FAIRLY SIMPLE.

I had not thought of separate water profiles for mash/sparge but I can see where this might make sense.  Perhaps display them separately on the brewsheet if needed as well.  WHEN I BREW, A MEASURED AMOUNT OF WATER GOES IN THE MASH TUN AND THE HLT.  I THEN ADD TO EACH, A PRE-MEASURED AMOUNT OF BREWING SALTS.  SO IF MY MASH WILL CONTAIN 5 GALLONS, AND MY SPARGE/HLT 10, THE SALTS FOR THE HLT WOULD BE DOUBLE THE MASH.  IT WOULD BE MOST USEFUL TO HAVE A SINGLE SHEET THAT LISTS THE AMOUNT OF EACH SALT, FIRST FOR THE MASH THEN FOR THE HLT.  IT SHOULD BE DISPLAYABLE IN BOTH GRAMS AND OUNCES.  I DON'T QUITE SEE HOW THIS WOULD FIT ON THE BREWSHEET SINCE IT REALLY TAKES THE BETTER PART OF A PAGE.  WHAT WOULD BE VERY USEFUL TO HAVE NEAR THE TOP OF THE BREWSHEET IS THE AMOUNT OF MASH WATER AND THE AMOUNT OF SPARGE WATER.  TO DISPLAY THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF WATER IS REALLY OF LIMITED VALUE, I THINK.

Cheers,
Brad
[/quote]

Hey Brad - I sent you the reply below about Beersmith's RIMS "comaptability".  Whlie i DO think there are some things that could be changed to make the program more friendly for us rimmers, I think I need to learn more about your program first, as I'm new to the s/w.  Give me a few weeks of working with it and I'll come back with some suggestions.  The one regarding water treatments is one that would really help, though.  Thanks for your consideration.

Chris

I have not looked at RIMS yet, but if you can email me a description of what you think needs changing, I can take a look at it.  Not is a good time as I'm in the middle of a major rewrite for BS 2.0.  THAT WILL TAKE ME A LITTLE WHILE, BUT I'LL DEFINITELY DO IT (IN A SEPARATE NOTE).  I THINK MOST OF THE CHANGES I HAVE IN MIND WOULD BE FAIRLY SIMPLE.

Back