• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recipe Share - Historic Brews

Kevin58

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I don't know how much interest there is in recipes from the past... some over 100 years old. But just in case you are interested here is a sampling of some that I have collected from Ron Pattinson's blog, Shut Up About Barclay Perkins http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com.

The first is a pale ale from Scotland. The Scottish brewers jumped on the Pale Ale bandwagon very early and even took pains to "Burtonize" their brewing water. 1851 William Younger XP

The second is from one of the smaller breweries in England, Lovibond. Ran by the man who developed an accurate color-meter to ensure consistency in his beers. This is a Mild Ale the way they brewed it before Mild became dark, low ABV and low IBU. 1864 Lovibond XX.

Next is one that I just brewed a week ago and is still in primary fermentation... an 1880 Whitbread Porter. Porter was the most popular beer in all of England and Whitbread was one of the major producers.

Finally an early version of Fullers London Pride. This is one that is still being made today. However the modern day recipe is much different than this early version. 1958 Fullers London Pride.

If you find this useful I can post more.

Attachments

• 1851 William Younger XP.bsmx
    22.3 KB · Views: 408
  • 1864 Lovibond XX.bsmx
    20.1 KB · Views: 405
  • 1880 Whitbread Porter.bsmx
    20.3 KB · Views: 476
  • 1958 Fullers London Pride.bsmx
    22.3 KB · Views: 430
Thanks very much for the recipes.  I've read Ron's blog on and off for a few years, but never tried one of the recipes. 

Kevin, I appreciate you posting these. I am also one interested in brewing traditional beers vs beers that meet modern style guides. However, I am using BS3 mobile and I?m not real savvy on how to import a .bmsx file. I do have BS2 on a laptop. That may be the way to go then place the recipe in the cloud and access in on the iPad that way. Any pointers on importing into BS3 mobile?

Thanks for posting! Historic brews/books are near/dear to my heart.

Cheers!

Mark

I only have a couple of recipes shared in the cloud and only one from the list posted here. The IBSt is the most recent I've made and is the original Imperial Russian Stout brewed in 1848 by Barclay Perkins.

https://beersmithrecipes.com/myrecipes?&doid=5d853e3c08ddd

I don't know how much interest there is in recipes from the past... some over 100 years old. But just in case you are interested here is a sampling of some that I have collected from Ron Pattinson's blog, Shut Up About Barclay Perkins

The first is a pale ale from Scotland. The Scottish brewers jumped on the Pale Ale bandwagon very early and even took pains to "Burtonize" their brewing water. 1851 William Younger XP

The second is from one of the smaller breweries in England, Lovibond. Ran by the man who developed an accurate color-meter to ensure consistency in his beers. This is a Mild Ale the way they brewed it before Mild became dark, low ABV and low IBU. 1864 Lovibond XX.

Next is one that I just brewed a week ago and is still in primary fermentation... an 1880 Whitbread Porter. Porter was the most popular beer in all of England and Whitbread was one of the major producers.

Finally an early version of Fullers London Pride welding atlanta. This is one that is still being made today. However the modern day recipe is much different than this early version. 1958 Fullers London Pride.

If you find this useful I can post more.
Thank you for sharing these historical beer recipes! It's always interesting to explore the brewing traditions and recipes from the past. Ron Pattinson's blog, Shut Up About Barclay Perkins, is indeed a valuable resource for vintage beer recipes and brewing history.

The Scottish pale ale from William Younger XP sounds intriguing, especially with its Burtonized brewing water. It's fascinating to see how Scottish brewers embraced the Pale Ale style early on.

Lovibond's Mild Ale from 1864 offers a glimpse into the brewing practices of the time when Mild was quite different from its modern interpretation. It's impressive that Lovibond developed a color-meter to ensure consistency in their beers.

Brewing an 1880 Whitbread Porter must be an exciting endeavor, as Porter was a popular beer style in England, and Whitbread was a prominent producer. Recreating historical recipes allows us to experience the flavors and brewing techniques from a bygone era.

Lastly, it's intriguing to compare the early version of Fuller's London Pride from 1958 with the modern-day recipe. It showcases how recipes can evolve and change over time while still maintaining their legacy.

Exploring and brewing these historical beer recipes provides a unique opportunity to delve into the rich brewing heritage and savor the flavors of the past. Thank you for sharing these insights and resources!

Back