• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

I hit my OG and Beersmtih still says 64% efficiency-What gives?

C

cdhiles

The title says it all.. Somewhat new to Beermsith and all grain  brewing, but Beersmith calculated my OG in my newest recipe at 1.058 and I hit 1.055, but Beersmith still gave me an efficiency of 64% in the "Efficiency as Calculated from Actual Volume" box....  In the box labeled "Actual efficiency", I hit 71.05....  As I check,in the actual OG box, I typed in 1.058 (the same as the estimated from Beermsith) and I still only got 64%....  whats the deal?

thanks
Chris

What was your batch volume?  If you leave it at 5 and actually ended up with 5.5 that will lower the efficiency. 

Yes,
  I would take a look at the boil volume and other stats.  Very likely you have a difference in volumes somewhere.  I just ran a test and set everything equal to the estimates and it balanced out with the correct number (with a percent or so, which is due to rounding).

Cheers,
Brad

Back