• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

?Backwards? beer taste-to-style mapping

Allen

New Forum Member
Reaction score
TL;DR - does anyone know of a tool that maps flavors back to groups of beer styles?  We have numerous flavor wheels and style descriptions that go the other way, but I haven?t found a way to take a set of desired flavors and work back to BJCP styles that exemplify them. Seems like a stupid simple question, but I?m coming up empty.  Thanks!

Background:
Just returned from Norway with a bunch of flavor notes that I?d like to build recipes from.  I could just start with a (Norwegian, Kveik) farmhouse style and build from there, but I?m wondering what other styles might be good to explore.  I?ve made a bunch of flavor notes around adjuncts like juniper, raspberry, etc and want to take those flavors to search among beer styles.

The best I?ve found is to CTRL-F and search for words within a style guide, but that feels pretty inefficient...  ideas?

Best suggestion I can give is to pick up a copy of Randy Mosher's book, Mastering Homebrewing. He talks about flavor profiles quite a bit. The more experience you have with the ingredients the easier it is recognize which ones you want to create your desired profile.

Back