• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Very low carbonation in bottles

SkyFlyer

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Hello all!
Issue:
Virtually no carbonation in bottles. :(
The beer has been in bottles now for 2 weeks (temp around 65*).
I did some research on the forum, but most of the carbonation issues have to do with kegging.
I'm sure this problem happens from time to time and I hope there is an easy solution.

Copper Ale (Extract kit)
This is my 7th batch of 5 gallon beer.
I am learning, but have a so much more to learn!
I am thankful for the forum where I can get help (and Brad and BeerSmith!).
I am having fun, and drinking some of my beer!

Brew date: 12.07.2008
Primary 13 days
Secondary 14 days
Bottle date: 01.03.2009
SG=1056
FG=1008

All the brew steps went well.  No issues that I can think of.
I did not have the BeerSmith program at the time.
On bottle day, I added 5 oz. (3/4 cup) priming sugar (corn) to 1 cup of boiling water.
This was added to the bucket and the wort was siphoned into the bucket.
After bottling, I took the bottles upstairs to the bedroom (average around 65*) to be a little warmer, as the basement was around 55*.  We had snow outside and it was cold! 
They have been in the bedroom for 2 weeks, but still very little carbonation.

What are my options?  What can I, or should I do?
I can try inverting/swirl each bottle and try to get the yeast going again.
Should I get the temp up to 70* or 75* or leave it at 65*?

Should I consider popping all the bottles, putting the beer back in the bucket and adding a little more yeast and sugar to reprime?  Don't really want to, but am prepared to if this is the best way to go.  I used liquid yeast in the primary.  I don't have any more yeast, except for some Munton's dry yeast that came with the kit.  I suppose I could order some more.
I'm hoping I don't have to do that!
If I do have to do this, I would appreciate some input on how to do this.  Maybe point me to another post that deals with this.  Amounts or sugar and/or yeast, etc.

Anything else?
I would appreciate any input/help in this matter.
Any questions that I can answer about my issues?
Thanks in advance!  :)

Not sure what went wrong here - in general 3/4 cup of priming sugar should be sufficient.  Did you weigh the sugar?  Sugars come in many different densities which can significantly affect what you get, which is why we always calculate priming sugar by weight and not volume.  Also make sure you cool the boiling sugar before dropping it in your beer.

Other than that, you should be on safe ground here unless you somehow killed off the yeast before or had an infection.  However, taking the yeast down to 55 would not be enough to kill it - it would just drive it dormant.  Its unlikely the yeast is the problem unless you had an infection (which you would likely taste).

Putting the beer back in the bucket is risky as the risk of infection is pretty high after you open all the bottles and empty them.  Plus you are likely going to introduce a lot of oxygen in the process which will oxidize your finished beer.

At this point I would probably recommend you give it a bit more time, and perhaps weigh your sugar next round.

Brad

I did not weigh the sugar, as I do not have a scale. It's on the shopping list!
Sugar was cooled.  I poured it into the empty bucket before racking the beer.
I guess, I'll try shaking them up a little, warm up to 70 or so and let them sit for a while.
I guess everyone has had one 'disaster' or another at some time.  So far, this is mine.  I can live with it.
It tastes good, so I'll probably drink it even if it is a little flat.  Maybe the carbonation will perk up in time.
I'm positive I did add the sugar. Since I got BeerSmith, I'll start using the brewing steps checklist to make sure all the steps are done in a timely manner.

1.008 is fairly low for a 1.056 start and a "typical" ale, and also indicates approx. 6.4% ABV.  That's a good primary and secondary length too, and if the yeast flocc'd well to the bottom, and the transfers were clean, you may not a huge amount of yeast in suspension in the bottles, so those remaining yeast may need more time to work thru the priming sugar.  Plus the low temps.  If they taste OK, just flat, then I'd wait another 3-4 weeks and do what you can to keep them at 68-70F for carbonation. 

OK, I can wait! :(
I'll keep them warmer.
Should I be inverting and stirring them up before setting them back on the warm shelf?
I don't mean a vigorous shake, but 2-3 swirls upside down.
Is that appropriate?
If not, what are the suggestions?

SkyFlyer said:
I don't mean a vigorous shake, but 2-3 swirls upside down.

Given this chance to experiment, I would shake the crap out of 2-3, roll some horizontally on the counter, lift upside down and swirl some, and leave some alone.  Mark them as such, and see if you can tell any difference.  (Or not, and just relax and drink a different home brew while you wait it out.)

If would be interesting to see if you detect oxidation in the shaken (but not stirred  ;)) bottles. 

+1 for Time!
Its not a disaster. Just be patient. I'm sure you will see a big improvement in carbonation after two more weeks! Remember: Real Beer gets better with age! Born On, or Superior Drink Ability BS are marketing ploy's for the big guys to make more money.

As for Infection: Look at the neck of the bottle where the beer line is. If you see dots or a line then you have an infection, this does "NOT" mean your beer isn't drinkable. It just means it wont be as good as it could have been. If there is no line or dots, you will need to practice Patience.

Cheers
Preston

+10 on time  and the bit about being too careful during racking.  We all strive for clarity and sometimes we need to let a little yeast into each step.

This happened on my last batch.  I got scolded by mentor brewers for hurrying through primary and secondary to bottle.  So I let is secondaried an extra 2 weeks.  It tool an extra 2-3 weeks to carb.  But now I'm on the back end of that with a real nice porter.

I did notice that temp is huge.  If I "snuck" one while working in the basement that was about 56 degrees, it had just about enough carb.  But when I cooled them in the fridge, then they were too flat.

As I said, time DID cure it.

Back