• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Installation Problem - Data Directory Moved

swjones83

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm getting an error indicating "Installation Problem - Data Directory Moved".  How can I correct the issue?  Couple items to note:
1.  I purchased BS3 when it first came out and have been using it for quite awhile on my MS Surface with Windows 10.
2.  I have not changed or moved the data directory.  The error just recently popped up and I cannot log in at all now.
3.  I tried the suggestion to move forward past the error note and have it load from the backup, but no dice.
4.  I've checked and the BS3 directory still exists under my user account and documents folder.  All looks good but the program cannot find the location.
5.  I haven't changed anything associated with my Anti-virus program.
6.  I did recently get a Windows 10 update to ver. 1903.

Any suggestions how to resolve?

Thanks!

So I finally figured this out on my own and thought I would post as an FYI.  With all the Microsoft OS updates and security changes to guard against malware and other cyber intrusion, something changed on my laptop with the latest install of Windows 10 update version 1903.  It wasn't that the directory for BS3 had moved, Windows security was not letting the BS3 executable access the folder where all the files live.  Changes will need to be made in Windows Security and here are the steps to correct:
1.  Access Windows 10 Settings from the main icon
2.  Select Windows Security
3.  From the left side menu bar, select Virus & threat protection
4.  Scroll down to Ransomware protection and select "Manage ransomware protection".  Once inside that window, you should see that "Controlled folder access" is more than likely turned "on".  Assuming it's on, you will see three sub links:  "Block history", "Protected Folders" and "Allow an app through Controlled folder access".
5.  Click on "Allow and app through Controlled folder access" and it should take you to another screen with that heading.  Click on "Add an allowed app" and view Recently blocked Apps.
6.  The Recently blocked apps pop-up should indicated that BeerSmith3.exe (or BeerSmith2.exe) are being blocked.  Simply click the "+" button and add one or both of the executable files to grant folder permission.  Once you have added them you're pretty much done. 
7.  Close out of everything and restart the BS3 (or 2) application and things should work.

I took some screen captures but it's too much to include with this posting.  Hopefully the directions are clear enough.  Best of luck and have a great brewing day!

I have this exact problem, but when I get to the Ransomware Protection page "Controlled folder access" is checked as "off" and I have been unable to change this setting to compete the fix.  Above the Controlled folder access heading the words "Controlled folder access requires turning on Real-time", but I have bees unable to determine how to do this either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Back