• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Copy ingredients from one recipe to another

JimJag

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to group select some ingredients from one recipe and then copy/paste them into another recipe? The standard shortcuts don?t seem to work. Thx.

Not sure exactly what you are trying to attempt with copying a group of ingredients.  If it is to make a variation on a recipe, I would recommend creating a duplicate of the recipe and redoing the ingredients you do not want. If the recipe includes ingredients that are not in your version of BeerSmith, then you can save the ingredient by clicking on the 'save item' icon on the far right of the design tab.  From there you can use them in a new recipe.

Basically, I have added some base salts to my water profile as well as went ahead and got a chemistry report for my water. So I want to add all of these to all of my existing recipes. Going into each recipe and adding each individual salt, and changing the water profile for each, is painful.

Ok, really easy to tackle.  Go to the water profile tool.  Start with your water and add the water salts in the proportion you  desire.  Now save this as a new water profile.

In your recipe, go to the water tab and add your water as the starting point.  The amount will be adjusted to accommodate the specific requirements of that recipe.  Now click below to match water profile.  A window will pop up where you can specify the profile to match.  Click to enter the new water profile you created and saved.  The mineral salts will be added proportionally based upon the initial water volume and those water agents will be added to the recipe.

You can also save time in the future by creating a recipe template. Add only the things you know you will use in every beer you make... your base water profile in your case. But you may also want to add things like fining agents and yeast nutrients. I even created my own "ingredient" in the miscellaneous section called "Pump and Chiller" and I set them to the last 15 minutes of the boil. It shows up in my brew day timer and remind me to run that equipment on to sanitize them. When creating a new recipe just copy/paste your template and work on the copy.

Back