• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

disappearing recipes

kesnerb08

New Forum Member
Reaction score
has anyone experienced their recipes disappearing in BS3 even after recovering them both the archive and BS2? all of the add on recipes are still there but all of my custom recipes keep disappearing. not sure what to do......

Can you describe the circumstances around the disappearance?  Are you creating and saving the recipes and then not seeing them?  Or, are the recipes disappearing after closing and reopening BeerSmith at a later time?

I too have lost 120+ recipes today. My computer did an update overnight and when I went to log-in to update some inventory stuff I found my 130+ recipe folder now has only 8. I have closed, restarted, updated some more but it still has only 8. My inventories look fine, my 32 recipe file of retired recipes are there. Many of the recipes, but not all, are in the cloud so I can get them back that way and the archive has various recipes/versions going back to 19 June. I might be able to get a few more restored that way but I wanted to post here and see if this was a known thing and if I could get all of it back. Any thoughts?

Sad brewer.

Marc

*EDIT*  I was able to recover the data from a back-up and it at least looks like it's all there. Did the File>recover from backup thing after checking the data on the file first before committing.

as a new user I thought I was doing something wrong.

Used BS3 for the first time today, filled everything in and did my brew, saved it all and closed down.

When I started up later, I got a message saying I had 2 copies running ( I dont), so cancelled and started again, this time it started ok, but my recipe had gone.

I could see my edits in the recipe archive, and clicking there brought the recipe up, but it didnt exist in the recipes folder - and also all the BS3 samples had disappeared as well - again available in the archive but nowhere else

This seems to be a fatal flaw with this software and a known problem that is beyond frustrating since it renders it impractical to use.

Anyone know if this issue will be fixed or not?  Are refunds offered?

This subject has been viewed 829 times. It seems it's an issue that should be fixed. This problem goes back to BeerSmith 2 so I've been in the habit of making my own backups periodically. But got caught out today and lost 2 new recipes that I spent a considerable amount of time on. In fact I lost 23 recipes dating back to August of last year, but I had my own backup and was able to recover 21 of them. It's nice that BeerSmith has an automatic backup, but it's generally pretty useless. All 5 backups were from the past 24 hours and they were all missing all 23 recipes.

I did read in a related post that you shouldn't leave BeerSmith open and should close it and re-open it to prevent this from happening, so that's good to know. But really, this is the solution? This is unlike any other software. There should be a big flashing warning, saying "You haven't closed BeerSmith lately. Better close it or risk losing many of your recipes!"

This software is for recipe creation. Seems like not losing your recipes should be pretty important!!! I'm pretty pissed off that I'm going to be spending a couple of hours re-creating recipes.

Looks like version 3.1 is supposed to fix this issue. So, fingers crossed

BeerSmith 3.1 New Update Features
Data Storage and Future Sync
One of the largest changes in 3.1 is the underlying data storage, which has moved to an incremental transaction based system. Older versions of BeerSmith read your data in on startup and saved it when you shut down the program. This created problems if the program or computer crashed or was shut down before BeerSmith could save the data. The new system stores data as soon as you press OK, so it should significantly cut down on data loss.

Back