• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Estimated Mash pH confusion

MarkWebb

Apprentice
Reaction score
On Version 2.3.12
My water pH is 8.8. I enter all the main water components like Calcium, magnesium, etc. and use it in a recipe.
It reports my Estimated Mash pH as 5.5.
In then redefine my water with a pH of 5.0 and add this new definition to my recipe.
The Estimated Mash pH does not change - still 5.5.
Why no change - doesn't the program take my water profile into account - surely not.
What am i missing here?
Regards
Mark

The water profile is indeed taken into account but the starting water pH really doesn't matter. What matters is the mineralcontent of the water that can counter changes in pH caused by the acidity of the grains. You can have a given water pH that is obtained by starting with pure water and adding a small amount of minerals, or you can get the same pH by adding a lot of acidic minerals and cancelling those with a lot of basic minerals. You end up at the same pH but the two waters would react very differently in a mash.

--GF

Back