• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Newbie Alert

WaynesWorld

Apprentice
Reaction score
:D  Hi all.  I received my first brew kit (extract brewing) from my son for Xmas.  So far I have only made three batches but have yet to drink any as I have only bottled one batch (still bottle conditioning).  I happened upon this forum from some references to it by another forum.  I do not know (as an extract brewer that steeps grain before the boil) if the software would work for me. Still trying to read up on it and hoping some of you can enlighten me.  I am in my 50's and wish I would have started doing this many many years ago.  I can only imagine the amount of money I could have saved off my beer bills. ;)  I look forward to reading the posts throughout this forum so that I can become an "enlightened" hoppyist (instead of hobbyist, heh heh) on this subject.  A big HELLO to all!!

Hi WaynesWorld
Welcome to the forum! I would have to say that Beersmith would benefit any brewer. Extract or All Grain. Seeing how you are already moving to Partial mashes, it will be of more benefit, in that you can customize a recipe to what you like. If you like Hoppy or Malty beer, it will tell you what your expected IBU, or bitterness ratio will be. Then you can dial in recipe into what your tastes are. You can see what different Malts will do for you when you add them to your extract. It gives you information about the type of beer style you are brewing so you can see if it fits the style. It is a virtual database of everything that makes beer: Malts,Yeasts, Adjuncts, Hops and Misc and there is a large following so you are sure to get help if need.

If you have questions or even answers for that matter. Join in on the fun!

Cheers
Preston

Welcome! +1 on preston's comments.  For me, my curiosity led me to needing to put my own spin on recipees.  You'll wind up doing the same thing.  Thinking, "this is good, but..."

Have fun. You'll make up for lost time.

Back