• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Old Ale in a Braumeister

CanTillet

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi there, I have been brewing with a 20l Braumeitser for a couple of years now, but have stuck to variations on IPA's. I am now looking to strike out on an Old Ale. If I can, as close as possible to Theakstons Old Peculier. I have a recipe, which includes a Pale ale malt base with chocolate, black and wheat malt additions and also golden syrup, black treacle and brown sugar. I want to end up with about a 6.5% ale. Anyone have any experience of this sort of thing ? I am particularly searching to benefit from knowledge on how to set up the mashing steps on the BM.

Old ale is one of my favorites. A single infusion mash should work just fine. Your syrups and sugar will go into the boil.

Thanks for the help. Would you recommend a temperature and duration ?

I use a light body mash profile. Right around 152?

Old ales are known to have some semblance of age. Maybe think about aging in a barrel or with wood chips. A little bit of brett character wasn't uncommon either.

Mark

Thank you. Oak ageing is an interesting idea and we have a ready supply of barrels around here so I may give this a try. My understanding is that the "old" refers to the tradition that this was ale that was kept and blended with lesser beers to give more body and alcohol.
Forgive my ignorance, what is Brett character ?
Jeff

CanTillet said:
Thank you. Oak ageing is an interesting idea and we have a ready supply of barrels around here so I may give this a try. My understanding is that the "old" refers to the tradition that this was ale that was kept and blended with lesser beers to give more body and alcohol.
Forgive my ignorance, what is Brett character ?
Jeff

Jeff, Brett character to me is a little "funk". Something like a barnyard, wet hay, etc.

Mark

Back