• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Effect of Jalapeno Jelly on Fermentation

casalingo_brewers

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello Brewers,

We have brewed an AIPA with a special ingredient: 1% of jalapeno Jelly were added 5 minutes before flame-off.
On a 20liter batch of our Speidel Braumeister we added 200g of jelly.

The Result: a very slow fermentation! It took around 24 hours until the yeast got going, .

My question: does the added jelly (or rather its ingredients) have an adverse effect on the fermentation?

The ingredients of the jelly are: sugar, vinegar, white wine, grilled jalapeno chillies, ginger, fruit-based pectin.

I added a second sachet of US-05 yeast after 16 hours because I panicked...  :-[ So in the end there was activity but I wonder if there was anything I should know about adding special ingredients.

Cheers,
houseman-brewer

It is very common for the wort to show little activity in the first 24 hours. That is the growth phase we often call lag time. Fermentation is not occurring in the growth phase and thus not much fun in the bucket.

If there is no appreciable activity within 48 hours, then you might think there could be something wrong.

Definitely after 72 hours something is wrong but maybe just a less than thrilling fermentation to watch but still doing it.

Preservatives in the jelly could retard yeast growth and thus slow or prevent yeast from budding (multiplying).

I can't see any of those ingredients hindering fermentation. Looks like you just got impatient.

Thanks for your help!

Usually We see fermentation starting within 12 hours, depending on temperatures

I guess you are right: I am rather impatient (wife says the same)  ;D

Will tell you all about the result in a few weeks.
Cheers!

I guess this happens to you guys:

I promised to give an update on the final result of our Jalape?o Jelly AIPA. But then I forgot! This occurs when everything goes fine...

Result:

It was great!!
200g of Jalape?o Jelly added to 21 Liters of American IPA. The added sugar might have helped the alcohol level and the spice was very subtle. Only a hint of jalape?o in the aftertaste. Just Right  8)

Back