• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Yeast Starter

Thetuner

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi. When making a yeast stater can I use black treacle instead of malt extract? What are the ramifications of doing so? I am brewing a Stille Nacht clone. I am planning on using the yeast from a bottle. will that give me the right sourness?

While you can use a sugar such as treacle, the results would probably not come out as well as you might want.  Straight sugars, including treacle, do not contain the proteins that the yeast cells need to build strong cell walls before and after budding.  This lack of essential amino acids from the proteins means that the cell walls will end up thinner and lead to a failure to be sufficient to reproduce once introduced to the wort.

Thanks that's very useful information I guess I will have to wait until the shops open. thanks for taking the time.

To hijack this thread I have another question on the yeast starter, does it matter what malt powder extract you would use for a yeast starter?

Back