Author Topic: Sour Beer question about boil-off and pH  (Read 1647 times)

Offline DeutschesBier

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Sour Beer question about boil-off and pH
« on: August 24, 2019, 10:36:23 PM »
I'm attempting a Berliner Weisse style beer where I'll sour the wort pre-boil. Keeping oxygen out of the wort during the souring process of a few days is important to keep bad flavors from showing up. To do this I plan on making enough wort to completely fill a 5 gal carboy to the brim. This will be 5.59 gallons. I'm then doing a 90 minute boil to get rid of DMS. I calculate that I should end up with a loss, due to boiling evaporation, of 2.25 gallons. My question is, if I add 2.25 gallons of water back to the wort after it's been boiled for 90 minutes, will that affect the pH (sourness/tartness) of the wort?

If the evaporation and then adding of lost water back will affect the sourness, I suppose I could make enough wort to allow for the boil-off and just sour them in 2 buckets with plastic wrap on the surfaces to eliminate headspace/ O2. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Offline dtapke

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
Re: Sour Beer question about boil-off and pH
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 08:10:16 AM »
the boil removes water, and water only. therefore adding water back shouldn't change anything, other than adding potential contaminants in the water.

I think your best option would be to add the water pre-boil assuming you have the kettle space.
32g eHERMS
Drinking: Dopplebock, NEIPA, Pils
Primary: empty
Secondary/Lagering:
Next Brew: RIS

Offline Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 09:26:29 AM »
With the improvements in malt consistency and modification, the need for a long boil to remove the precursor to DMS is greatly reduced.  Anecdotal reports are that a 15 minute boil is all that may be needed to reduce DMS to below detectable levels.  Unless you are using a low modified pilsner malt, such as a floor malted version (and even then it is debatable), a long boil is not needed.

Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline DeutschesBier

• BeerSmith New Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 03:27:29 PM »
Thank you , gentlemen. I'll rewrite the recipe with a shorter boil and I'll add my evaporation water pre-boil. Thanks!