• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

fly sparge, water amount off?

mikkelflott

Apprentice
Reaction score
Say I have 155 kg malt. 170L under false bottom of MLT. 35L/hour evaporation rate. Boil 1 hour. Batch vol: 600L. Losses=0.

I use the attached profiles. How come BS3 say sparge vol is: 240,98L? Other calculations suggest that the sparge vol for 600L beer is about 216L

Can somebody explain to me, where BS3 and "sparge vol calc.png" differs?

Thank you :)

Attachments

• sparge vol calc.png
    sparge vol calc.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 267
  • equipment profile.bsmx
    1.5 KB · Views: 125
  • recipe redx.bsmx
    18.6 KB · Views: 122
  • temp mash 1 step medium body.bsmx
    3.1 KB · Views: 132
Not knowing where the calculations from your .png snapshot comes from and the assumptions behind it, I would guess that the difference between the two is that BeerSmith takes into account the thermal expansion of water at the rate in your equipment profile (4%).  If I manually calculate the difference between the two values, it comes out pretty close to the 4% for thermal expansion.

If you are going to use different calculators to compare BeerSmith's calculations every time you brew, you will constantly be chasing down different numbers between them.  Each program or independent calculator makes assumptions about various parameters in order to give you numbers. Beyond that, the calculations are pretty much the same.  It is a common problem people have and is a distraction from furthering your goal of setting up BeerSmith to best represent your process.  If this is your first time using BeerSmith, you have done well in personalizing your equipment profile.  Now take the results of your actual brews and use these numbers to validate the assumptions in your equipment profile to make the program better model your results for you.

Oginme said:
Not knowing where the calculations from your .png snapshot comes from and the assumptions behind it, I would guess that the difference between the two is that BeerSmith takes into account the thermal expansion of water at the rate in your equipment profile (4%).  If I manually calculate the difference between the two values, it comes out pretty close to the 4% for thermal expansion.

If you are going to use different calculators to compare BeerSmith's calculations every time you brew, you will constantly be chasing down different numbers between them.  Each program or independent calculator makes assumptions about various parameters in order to give you numbers. Beyond that, the calculations are pretty much the same.  It is a common problem people have and is a distraction from furthering your goal of setting up BeerSmith to best represent your process.  If this is your first time using BeerSmith, you have done well in personalizing your equipment profile.  Now take the results of your actual brews and use these numbers to validate the assumptions in your equipment profile to make the program better model your results for you.

Thank you Oginme. Good points there.

Back