• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

getting started in the software

WaynesWorld

Apprentice
Reaction score
:-[ Unfortunately I was born in the wrong era as software is very intimidating to me but I try. Once you tell me what I am doing wrong I will feel very embarrassed but I need to ask anyway. I just finished downloading and installing the trial version of beersmith. Thank you, by the way for offering a trial version. I am basically an extract brewer. I use a 22 quart stockpot (no concerns about boil over there, huh?) to boil water (just under one gallon for each pound of grain I utilize) and steep grains at 158F for 30 minutes. If I were steeping 1.5 pounds of grain I would use just under 1.5 gallons of water in my 22 quart stockpot (taken from "How to Brew" by John Palmer). After the steeping time, the pot is removed from the burner and the grains steeped for another 10 minutes. After this the grain is removed and the extract(s) are added.  Water is then added to bring the total water used thus far to 3 gallons. After mixing thoroughly it is then returned to the burner and boiled for 60 minutes. The bittering hops are added upon reaching the boil and the aroma hops are added dependent upon the variety, within the last 5 - 10 minutes. My question is how would I implement this procedure into beersmith? Should I always be changing the size of my boiling pot to accomodate the actual amount of boil volume listed in the software for that size pot? I went to the "create your own equipment profile on beersmith.com/equipment_setup.htm which tells me to copy the equipment and then use paste but I do not see where I should be pasting it to for creating these profiles? Maybe my style of brewing is just not conducive to beersmith. If so I apologize in advance. One of these years I will get over my phobia of software use. Oh well....maybe I should just go have a beer!!!   :D  thank you in advance to any of you who reply.

Hi,
  There is no problem using the method you describe.  Set up your own personal equipment profile with a boil volume of 3 gallons and you should be fine.  You can steep with 3 gallons of water but if you want to steep with less that is just fine as well.  The hop additions and boil times for each can be entered into your recipe when you add each of the hops.

The brewsheet should show how to brew the beer - the only difference would be your steeping volume as you are using 1.5 gal vice 3 gallons. 

Cheers,
Brad

???  I don't seem to be getting any responses so hopefully someone on this forum can help this newbie out...This is probably a very easy answer but I sure am having the dickens of a time trying to get started...sorry...see my questions in blue below....thank  you to anyone who responds....

as taken from the setting up your own equipment web page...
    * Go to equipment view by selecting the Equipment command on the View menu.
    * Select an equipment profile that is closest to your actual equipment profile.
    * Pick the Copy command (Edit menu) to copy this profile to the clipboard.so far so good....
    * Pick the Paste command to create a copy of the selected equipment profile. :eek: whoa,...where do I paste what I have copied?
    * Double click on the new profile and give it a unique name such as "Joes Equipment"where does the new profile reveal itself so that I can double click on it?

WaynesWorld said:
???  I don't seem to be getting any responses so hopefully someone on this forum can help this newbie out...This is probably a very easy answer but I sure am having the dickens of a time trying to get started...sorry...see my questions in blue below....thank  you to anyone who responds....

as taken from the setting up your own equipment web page...
    * Go to equipment view by selecting the Equipment command on the View menu.
    * Select an equipment profile that is closest to your actual equipment profile.
    * Pick the Copy command (Edit menu) to copy this profile to the clipboard.so far so good....
    * Pick the Paste command to create a copy of the selected equipment profile. :eek: whoa,...where do I paste what I have copied?
    * Double click on the new profile and give it a unique name such as "Joes Equipment"where does the new profile reveal itself so that I can double click on it?

:eek: whoa,...where do I paste what I have copied?
OK, this is how I do it. 

I, as above suggests, "* Select an equipment profile that is closest to your actual equipment profile."  I right click on its title and a menu appears.  I then use the, "Duplicate" option within that menu and the Equipment Profile is duplicated.  That duplicate will reveal itself within the list of existing equipment profiles.  I believe it will automatically alphabetize itself in the list.

I then, * Double click on the new profile and give it a unique name such as "Joes Equipment"

That feature and process is handy for duplicating whole recipes then moving them to maybe a new folder you have created.  My point is that this is a base feature with many uses.

:)
thank you very much.  It worked to perfection.  From here I can now progress...
thanks again.

Back