• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Initial Mash Volume

lynch140

Apprentice
Reaction score
I have just started off with a Braumeister 20L, I am confused over how much water to use as the ratios usually tell you 3 times that amount of Malt you would mash with.  For example 3 x4.7kg which means 14.1 litres.  However you see on some recipes that they start off with 23-25 litres. 

I know its a newbie question but is there a way of calculating your starting water volume required, I am guessing its based on litres lost to the grain but an easy calculator would be helpful

Thanks

If you start with an accurate equipment profile then Beersmith will calculate that for you. Even so, in the mash schedule tab you can change the water to grain ratio to suit each individual brew day.

I would start however with that equipment profile. And even if there is a profile in the equipment profiles list don't assume that will work for you. Those are just starting points for you to customize your own system and your own brewing process. Follow the steps in this video to customize your system and then the numbers in the mash tab will end up closer to where you should start.

https://youtu.be/HwEbjOt8OR8

Back