• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Developer docs

altgeeky1

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi Brad,

Are there any developer docs or code fragments for external (not Beersmith.exe) utilities which can work with beersmith data files?
What I am  curious to do is my own code to export my current inventory and brew log off to a website.

This means more access to my data than if I were to manually export BeerXML, which is more of a one-off step and only supports recipes.
How are the BSM file formats defined? I'm a PHP guy, but I don't mind C snippets.

Thanks

Hi,
  No, unfortunately the files are all in binary so its not easy to do this, plus they are subject to change.  You will be happy to know that for a future version we are going to an XML based format that will be much easier to read and import/export.

Cheers,
Brad

Hi Brad,

I'm sure I can handle binary files (done so plenty using Perl, PHP). I can read C code or specs fine.

Assuming there are not any other limiting issues... and I promise not to ask 'questions', would you be open to describing the data?
(I am only interested in some personal utilities, and not say releasing any utils out of it...)

thanks,
Scott

PS - glad to hear there will be a move to an XML format. I hope XML extends to everything, not just recipes (accessing my inventory is one of the motivators to poking around in the BSM files).

Back