• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

About acid amounts

Kannsen

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi,
First, I'm sorry for my "limited" English skills.

In my recipe the amounts of water are : 19,74 Liters for the mash step and 25,75 Liters for the fly sparge. So 45,49 Liters total.

The acid calculator says to put 16 ml acid (mash) and 10,10 ml acid (sparge).

Well, intuitively I thought " I will put 16 ml in my mash kettle and 10,10 ml in my hot water kettle (sparge)"...

Then I printed the brewing sheet, and I started to doubt...

1568382407-capture1.png

1568382411-capture2.png

So, now, I understand that I need to put 16 ml in 45,49 Liters, then split in 2 kettles (19,74 L mash and 25,75 L sparge), proceed with the mash, then add 10,10 ml in my sparge kettle (already acidified, and here I'm lost...)

What is the good way to read it ? The "intuitive" one, or the last one ? Thanks !

Two things to consider:

First, the software is written to cover all types of brewing methods.  If you treat all your water at once, then add the acid amounts for mash and for sparge together.  Since the software does not know that this is your process, it defaults to addition by intended use.  Even then, it is not precise in how it explains the additions.

Second, before trusting the software completely for acid additions, please read the sticky thread about the pH model this particular software uses, which can be found at http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php/topic,20449.0.html.

I hope this helps.

Yes, I always put the half of the amount given in the recipe for the mash, test it, and adjust if needed.

But I would like to try to acidify the (fly) sparge water for my next sesh. I never did it yet. And I don't see how to "adjust" on the fly at this step, with only 2 arms :).

Realistically, you only need to acidify your sparge water to a pH of 5.8 to 6.0 or lower.  The object is not to allow the pH in the grains rise above 5.8 to 6.0 where conditions which may result in tannin extraction may occur. 

Back