Author Topic: Fruit Beer and Water Volumes  (Read 1452 times)

Offline wellertheseller

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • I'm from Texas and I love beer!
Fruit Beer and Water Volumes
« on: September 14, 2019, 10:24:26 AM »
i brewed an american wheat today. My intention is to rack it on top of a can of blueberry puree in a week. I noticed my mash was super thin today and i had leftover wort in my 2nd runnings today, and low PBG on top of that. I think adding the can of puree to the recipe and 8 oz of rice hulls messed up the mash calculations. It treated those 2 items as grains and as result suggested that I add too much water. I will leave those out of the recipe next time. Any one else have a suggestion for this problem? the actual grains were 9 lbs, but it says 12.84 lbs in the total grains field on BS.

Online Oginme

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Goats, guitars, and a home brew; Life is good!
    • Longvu LaManchas
Re: Fruit Beer and Water Volumes
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 02:05:58 PM »
I have not used rice hulls previously, but noted in other recipes I looked at that they are counted in the grain bill according to BeerSmith.  So I moved the rice hulls to miscellaneous ingredients for any future use.  The puree, at least in my version of BeerSmith, is listed as a miscellaneous item as well and does not contribute to the water volume calculation.  Doing this, you should be able to list them in the recipe without causing a change in the water volume versus not listing them.
Recycle your grains, feed them to a goat!

Offline wellertheseller

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • I'm from Texas and I love beer!
Re: Fruit Beer and Water Volumes
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 02:51:14 PM »
in BS 3, the fruit puree is listed as a fermentable, and so are the rice hulls. Thanks for the tip though. for future reference, I deleted them as fermentables and added them back as misc items. this corrects the water volume issue. thanks!

modification