• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Fruit Beer and Water Volumes

Reaction score
i brewed an american wheat today. My intention is to rack it on top of a can of blueberry puree in a week. I noticed my mash was super thin today and i had leftover wort in my 2nd runnings today, and low PBG on top of that. I think adding the can of puree to the recipe and 8 oz of rice hulls messed up the mash calculations. It treated those 2 items as grains and as result suggested that I add too much water. I will leave those out of the recipe next time. Any one else have a suggestion for this problem? the actual grains were 9 lbs, but it says 12.84 lbs in the total grains field on BS.

I have not used rice hulls previously, but noted in other recipes I looked at that they are counted in the grain bill according to BeerSmith.  So I moved the rice hulls to miscellaneous ingredients for any future use.  The puree, at least in my version of BeerSmith, is listed as a miscellaneous item as well and does not contribute to the water volume calculation.  Doing this, you should be able to list them in the recipe without causing a change in the water volume versus not listing them.

in BS 3, the fruit puree is listed as a fermentable, and so are the rice hulls. Thanks for the tip though. for future reference, I deleted them as fermentables and added them back as misc items. this corrects the water volume issue. thanks!

Back