• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Another Copy Running Error

PeppersMA

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I've been using BeerSmith 3 on my chromebook through Linux for a year now. I've been using the built in Linux on Chrome OS. I haven't had any issues with it until last week. Every time I open BeerSmith I get an error that another copy may be running. If I click Open BeerSmith Now it just closes the program and nothing happens. I tried uninstalling BS and reinstalling it but I still get the error. I even went as far as wiping my chromebook clean and starting over again, twice. Each time I open BS I get this error. I just renewed my license for a year and I'm getting frustrated that I can't even use BS. I sent an email to support but no response.

This often happens if Beersmith is shut down before it finishes it's archival processes. A typical way this happens is if you leave BS open and your machine does an automatic update and reboot. Go into your task manager and see if there are any fragments still in the processes section. The best way to avoid this in the future is simply to avoid leaving BS open when you are not using it.

Hi PeppersMA,
My Beersmith 3 has just started doing this, have you had any success fixing the problem. Is there anyone out there who has a fix ?? Wheres all the moderators.

This is my understanding of the issue with the 'another copy running' error that people are getting.  Not being a programmer or associated with this particular program development I may get some of the details mixed up, but the basic premise is sound.

When you close BeerSmith, there are several(?) subroutines which clean up and archive the last set of recipes, profiles, and settings used.  These subroutines work in the background after the main program has been shut down.  If some operation disrupts this process, there will be a fragment that remains uncompleted and in memory.  I have encountered it when Microsoft forces an upgrade to their operating system and does not recognize the ongoing archival process as a running program.  I believe it can also happen with a forced shut down such as on a blue screen or power disruption.

Until this program has a rewrite to change how these archival operations are carried out, it may persist.  It can be minimized by following certain protocols.

1.  Do not leave BeerSmith running in the background.  I used to have the program open all the time and have since stopped doing this.
2.  Once you shut down the program, allow sufficient time (a minute or two with no other operations taking significant hard disk access is usually more than fine) for the archival routines to finish their operations.
3.  Schedule updates and do not allow Microsoft to force an update to your system.  This definitely means not allowing updates to stack up before doing a mass update to your system.  After a certain period of time, Microsoft will force a security update upon you when you are least suspecting. 

P.S. the moderators are here to make sure people are civil to each other, spammers are blocked, and posts are placed in the correct forum.  While the one who I see most frequently is here is most knowledgeable and helpful, I would not expect him to have all the answers.

Hi Oginme,
Yeah I get why it may have happened and thanks for the prevention measures, but that is not a fix for an unusable program :)

Hmm, I have been using the program in its current form since it came out.  It does not seem "unusable" to me at all.  There are precautions I need to take, but that does not affect the functionality nor the capabilities of the program. 

To each their own, however.

Hmm
Duh, well it is unusable if it has this error which I have got. Oh, and I have been using it since it came out and used 2 beforehand. You have had plenty to say about this problem here and on other posts but you are yet to give us a fix Grand Master !!

As I am only a user and not the programmer, I don't have much to do with how the software works.  I just try to help out other users with their use of the program.

Sorry to disappoint.

Track down the fragments that are still running and stop them. Or do a reboot of your machine... not just put it to sleep or energy saving mode... shut it down for a minute and then turn it back on. I've had this happen to my copy of BS3 twice and neither time prevented me permanently from using the program. Since then I do as Oginme suggests and never leave it running when I don't need to.

Hi Kevin58,
How do I track down the running fragments, I have gone into Task Manager but there doesn't seem to be anything associated still running. I have done many PC shutdowns since the problem arose. I always turn my computer off as I believe Windows needs to reset itself.
I do appreciate your attempts to remedy my situation.
I am also working with Brad to try and work this out and I think he is scratching his head so anybody who has a fix will thrill us both.  ;D

rustypic said:
Hi Kevin58,
How do I track down the running fragments, I have gone into Task Manager but there doesn't seem to be anything associated still running. I have done many PC shutdowns since the problem arose. I always turn my computer off as I believe Windows needs to reset itself.
I do appreciate your attempts to remedy my situation.
I am also working with Brad to try and work this out and I think he is scratching his head so anybody who has a fix will thrill us both.  ;D

Do you have a Chromebook?

rustypic said:
No, I only have a windows desktop computer.

OK.  I am trying to recreate the issue. I have a couple machines to work with. 

Does this happen after going to sleep and waking up? 
or
Hibernating and waking up?
or
after power off and on?

Windows 7? 8? 10?

Thanks!

Windows 8.1, I always shut BS down. When I open the program I get the 'Another Copy Running' error, I then click on the 'open beersmith now' button and BS3 opens. I can then create recipes, edit others etc, but sometimes things seem to disappear or change/revert. When I try to, print Brew Steps, as an example I get a message that 'Beersmith Has Stopped Working' and it shuts down, most of the time I then lose everything I have done in that session. I do believe it has something to do with PC upgrades as I had left BS3 open for a long time around the time it all went haywire.

Cheers :) 

rustypic said:
Windows 8.1, I always shut BS down. When I open the program I get the 'Another Copy Running' error, I then click on the 'open beersmith now' button and BS3 opens. I can then create recipes, edit others etc, but sometimes things seem to disappear or change/revert. When I try to, print Brew Steps, as an example I get a message that 'Beersmith Has Stopped Working' and it shuts down, most of the time I then lose everything I have done in that session. I do believe it has something to do with PC upgrades as I had left BS3 open for a long time around the time it all went haywire.

Cheers :)

Great.  Let me fire up a Win 8.1 virtual machine and get crackin'.  I'll let you you know if I can reproduce this annoying issue.

I have been able to reproduce this only in one scenario (using Windows 8.1 Pro).

1. Beersmith is running and I power off the machine (not a shutdown)

Work Around:
Navigate to your Documents folder where Beersmith data file are. e.g. "C:\Users\jomebrew\Documents\BeerSmith3"
Delete the lock file InUse.lck
Start Beersmith

It is possible Beersmith has not finished shutting down when you power off the machine even though you closed Beersmith. The last step when Beersmith shuts down is to remove a lock file indicating Beersmith is running. This lock file keeps you from running two instances at the same time on the same PC.
** I could not make this happen but it is possible on slower machines

On a  slow system, a power user might open task manager and wait for Beersmith to disappear from the task list before shutting down or measure the time from when they close Beersmith, the task goes away and wait a bit longer than that before shutting down the PC.

Another potential issue could be Antivirus holding the lock file preventing Beersmith from deleting it when Beersmith closes. I have Symantec AV and it does not do that. A power user might want to exclude the Beersmith data folder from the antivirus software.

You can also open Windows Explorer and navigate to the Beersmith data folder when Beersmith is running.  Close beersmith and wait for the file do be deleted. Then, shutdown. If the file is not removed, something is blocking Beersmith from deleting the file.

Good luck

Hey jomebrew,
This has got me dumbfounded, I planned on copying all my recipes etc to BS2 which I did after many failed attempts and bull---t, with the idea of doing a complete uninstall of BS3 and then reinstalling. Anyway after all the mucking around BS3 has decided to work again without me uninstalling it, I have done a small amount of testing but when I get time I will give it a better workout. The only thing I can come up with, I think my PC did another upgrade in between times.

Cheers  ???

Thanks J,
I will refer to this if it starts to play up again  :)

Cheers

Have had this issue occur twice in the last week - lost one year of recipes each time.  Not sure why it doesn't default to the last saved instance but whatever.  The InUse.lck file is not in the folder listed - or any folder for that matter anywhere on my computer and yes, I do have beersmith running while I am looking for it....  Is there another alternative?

Look for the Lock file in your local directory.  Mine has a *.lck name.  Delete that file and you'll be golden.  I have that problem every so often on my Linux system.  It will be in a hidden directory so you'll have to make the directory show all files, including hidden ones.  ".beersmith" will probably be where the lock file is hiding.

Back