• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How to add my basic BIAB equipment set up

BoyNorman

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm very new to brewing and want to add my set up to Beersmith and then try out some recipes.
I have a basic BIAB set up of 12L stovetop stainless pot for mashing and boiling, and then 10 or 25L plastic tubs for fermentation. It was a BIAB starter kit purchased online.
I've tried to add this set up to the BeerSmith 3 app but there are a lot of options that don't seem relevant to me or i don't understand, Mash Tun for instance.
Any advice re what to put on there for my set up would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

When doing BIAB, your pot is your mash tun.  Mashall Schott posted a video guide specifically for setting up a biab equipment profile which can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmW7pwQP5mQ.

This should explain most of it for you.  If you have any other questions once following that walk-through feel free to post them here and we can see if we can talk you through it.

When it say weight of Mash Tun, is that the empty weight or full?

The weight of the mash tun should be entered empty.  The purpose of this is so that the program can calculate the thermal load of the mash tun when doing calculations for strike water temperature.  While you can disable this calculation by clicking off the box for 'adjust temp for equip' on the mash tab of your recipe, I have found that it will skew your strike temp when doing BIAB as it totally ignores the temperature of the pot and I end up with a higher than target mash temperature.  So when actually brewing, I set the mash tun temperature with the 'adjust temp' box checked on the mash tab to be about two degrees F (1 degree C) above my desired mash temp and the calculation of strike water temperature is pretty close to my desired value (within a couple of tenths F).

There is also a video on that same channel for setting up a BIAB mash profile: https://youtu.be/VKiEjhxo2oo
It wouldn't be a bad idea to follow those instructions also.

Back